Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't turn on but power is on

• Please log in to reply

Maxxamit

Maxxamit

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I am having problems with my computer. It used to have problems turning on sometimes after I turned it off. I would have repeatedly turn it off and on before it would actually turn on to the point where something showed up on the screen. Now when i turn it on only the lights work, the cd roms, and the fans.

I thought maybe it could be individual parts, so I took off the cd/dvd rom drives and tried it, wouldn't work. Then I took off the harddrive just to see what would happen and it didn't works. Finally I took out the power supply and swapped it for another one(thought only a 250W) and it still wouldn't work. I also tried to take out the video card and it still wouldn't work.

Do you think it's the processor or the motherboard?

Please let me know b/c I want to get it fixed ASAP but don't really know what to buy or who to go to to get it fixed w/o paying too much. Also if you know what could be wrong could you recommend a good one to buy for a decent price.

Advertisements

Desiredfx

Desiredfx

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello,

Did test the Moniter make sure its working?.

Does the PC Beep when ya turn it on is so ho many times

Maxxamit

Maxxamit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
YEs the monitor still works. I use it on another computer right now. The computer does not beep. That's how i knew it wasn't working before. I used to have to turn it off and on many times before it beeped. Now it doesn't beep

Verst

Verst

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Maybe you should try flashing your BIOS.
Sounds like a motherboard glitch...

Maxxamit

Maxxamit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I know this may sound dumb, but i don't know how to flash my BIOS. Can you give me instructions on how to do so?

Thanks
Amit

Maxxamit

Maxxamit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Also, does the comp have to beep/ show up on the screen to flash BIOS b/c I can't get it to EVER beep.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Please list you system specs or the name and model number of your computer.

Do you have a case speaker connected?

Did the computer ever beep?

You mentioned taking out the video card, did you try another one or did it beep when you powerd on without it?

My guess at this point would be a bad video card so if you could borrow one just to test would be the first thing to try.

Rick