Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop with EXTREAM Problems....

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, just do the line over...all you did was create an extra file in system32--no big deal.

copy sam C:\windows\system32\config\sam
<enter>

Now, it should be noted that the above procedure does not ALWAYS work...I seem to bat about .500 with this working...

in the past it was all or nothing, but just the other day, it kind of worked...I was able to start windows, but a lot of things didn't work.

Anyway...try that. If it does not work, you have a second computer....can you pull a harddrive?

Advertisements

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
yea, i did it over after i screwed up, but as in my last post, after i select Start Windows Normally, it shows windows loading, then just a black screen.... now, im pretty computer literate, but do u mean pull my harddrive out? if not, im sure i can do it if u explain how.......

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you need to remove the harddrive from one computer by removing the ribbon cable and hte 4-pin power connector

Then you need to insert it in the second pc....

Now, key here is that your harddrive is currently set up as a "master" and so will the one in the other PC--so you need to either set it as a salve by moving the jumper on the drive (there will be a sticker on the top of the drive most of the time showing you where to move it) or put it on a second controller.

Once in the other pc, you need to set the PC to show all files and folders and navigate to

{new drive letter for drive}:\System Volume Information\_restore{big-long-alpha-numeric string}

inside this folder you will see your restore points from system restore with names like RP01, RP02, RP03....etc

Choose the most recent one

inside
{new drive letter for drive}:\System Volume Information\_restore{big-long-alpha-numeric string}\rp225 (for example), you will find a folder called SNAPSHOT

Inside here you will find your registry hive files with the same names you saw above with names like

Registry_machine_system
Registry_machine_software
Registry_machine_sam
Registry_machine_security
Registry_machine_default

Same principle as before, copy each of these to the

C:\windows\system32\config\
directory, but rename them as
system
software
sam
security

then try to reboot.

If that fails, try the next oldest, and then the next oldest. I Usually have pretty good luck with the one two or three days old....

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
so remove the harddrive from the desktop and put it in the laptop, or the other way around...?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you would remove the laptop drive and put it in the desktop -- BUT, you should know that it will not fit "as is"

(temporarily forgot that this is a laptop)

You will need either an adapter, or a 2.5inch harddrive enclosure to achieve this.

I use this device all the time:
http://www.byteccusa...pter/BT-200.htm

but you could get any standard 2.5 disk enclosure for about $20

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
crap.... so i'd have to buy a cord so that i can fix the laptop...... well, im not sure when i would be able to get it sense im broke at the moment.... i have a hand full of cords, so maybe i have something else that would work..... where could i buy this adapter?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
newegg.com, compusa, microcenter....radioshack did carry a little adapter that was less of a cord, and more of a plug on both sides for about $15 once...

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok, i went to Fry's (a local electronic store) and i picked up wat u told me, so now wat should we do?

Edited by darkstar225, 27 July 2006 - 12:44 AM.

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
ok, im got it hooked up into the desktop, but when i try to get into the folder System Volume Information, it says "E:\System Volume Information is not accessable Access is denied." .... wat do i do?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I just read through this thread, and I'd like to help you, but I need to know what the status of your laptop is now. Is the hard drive in it or out of it? Have you been able to boot to Windows? Can you borrow an XP cd of the same flavor you currently have to repair Windows? (This can be done w/o data loss most of the time).
Johanna

Advertisements

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
hello, and let me appologize for not being able to respond untill now. i was gone for a month and without net, so i had no way of getting online.... but to answer your questions: the laptop still goes through the loading of windows, but after, where you should be able to sign in, the screen is black, and you cant do anything. as of now, the hard drive is out of the laptop, and unfortunatly i don't have an XP cd..... not for my laptop or desktop :-( ....... but i also have the cord so i can plug my laptops hard drive into my desktop (into the USB), and i tried to at least look into the files, but it said something about singing in, or something, that was a long time ago.....

but i greatly appreciate your help!

i should be online all night also, so if we can get this worked on soon, awsome...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
How to take Ownership of Files and Folders in XP:
http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp
Johanna

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
um, i tried that, but it didn't work when i plugged my laptop's hard drive into my desktop. there is no security tab. but when i try to access the System Volume Information, or through documents and settings, and i try to go to my account, it says access is denied.... wat should i do?

darkstar225

darkstar225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
BUMP