Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows File Protection

• Please log in to reply

obsessed

obsessed

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
"Windows File Protection"
Sometimes I get this message on my computer: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files." It asks me to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD, which I don't have, because XP came pre-installed on my computer, which I later updated to SP2. I did a system restore, but the next morning I found that after my automatic updates, it rebooted and happened again. I came up clean for virus & spyware (Trend online scan, Norton 2005 antivirus & Spybot). I'd prefer not to have to reformat. Can I fix it without doing so?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there obsessed, the computer is trying to do a "System File Checker". This can only be preformed by using the XP disk, I would suggest that you borrow the XP disk from a friend and do the scan.

This problem usually occurs when a virus has infected your computer.

So please read this: Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log (Click on the link)

That will give you steps that will help you clean up 70% of the problems yourself. Then please download "Hijackthis" and run Hijackthis with log. Save the log file here: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

When you have followed all these steps. A Geeks To Go Staff Member will help you fix your problem.

(Note: Please be patient, the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.)

Thank you and goodluck. :whistling:

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Assuming I can find someone from whom to borrow the xp disc, would this end up reformatting my drive? I am hoping to avoid this. Alternatively, is there some way to recover the Windows Files I lost by going into the backup of the drive I had made a couple of months ago with Norton Ghost and an external drive?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there obsessed, if you can get an XP disk, then there will be no need to format your system. The scan is safe and will not require any format, all the scan does is scan system files and checks that they have correct size and replace any files that do not seem legit.

To aviod format, since this sounds like a malware problem. Please follow all the steps I have giving you.

If you need any more information, I will be glad to help.

Cool :whistling:

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Will it work with the Restore CD that came with the computer? (Or would THAT give me an unwanted reformat?) I am frustrated, because pretty much everyone I know had XP pre-installed and I don't even know whom to ask to borrow an XP disc.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Nope, you need the Installation disk of windows XP but give the Restore Cd a try it should not cause an unwanted format. If you cannot get the disk at the moment, go through to the malware forum (The other instructions I gave you) So that the staff can get rid of any malware that can cause any futher problems and conflict with the "SFC" (System File Checker). While a Geek To Go Staff memeber assists you with your malware problem try and find an XP disk from a friend or any where you can get one.

You dont have to worry about a thing, you cannot format without a XP disk anyway.

Cool :whistling:

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

You dont have to worry about a thing, you cannot format without a XP disk anyway.

Huh? I am confused now. The Restore CD DOES do a reformat, that's what it's for. There HAS to be a better way to get back the system files. Not everyone has access to people with XP discs in case of emergency. Yes, I will do the malware thing, but that will not solve the problem about my windows files.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Huh? I am confused now. The Restore CD DOES do a reformat, that's what it's for. There HAS to be a better way to get back the system files. Not everyone has access to people with XP discs in case of emergency. Yes, I will do the malware thing, but that will not solve the problem about my windows files.

i'm not sure if a recovery disk will work with the SFC scann (system file checker)...but it might...which is what spike was suggesting....when your computer tells you "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files." try putting in the recovery disk...it MIGHT be able to find the files it needs on that disk....if it doesn't....then you'll need to borrow an xp SP1 cd (not sp2 sp1) to get rid of that notification..

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
The message was telling me to put in the SP2 disc specifically. So why do you say SP1 and NOT SP2?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...in hindsight i could be wrong about that step...but ot my recolection when using SFC you should use the same type of install media as that which came on the machine to begin with...you said you installed sp2 on your own..that it didn't come with that...i could very well be thinking of a repair installation (i probably am)...so i appologize for that portion

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ok, well, in the meantime I did another system restore to the earliest possible time (earlier than I had tried before), so I suppose now, if that didn't help matters, I just have to wait until that Windows File Protection message pops up again before I can do anything, correct?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...you can do start > run > then type sfc /scannow to manually initiate the scan

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I am awaiting response from the malware forum, posted my hijack this log... in the meantime I am trying to deal with the Windows file protection issue, and have no luck obtaining the Windows XP Home SP2 cd it keeps prompting me for. The restore cd that came with the computer was rejected as the wrong cd, as was the XP Pro cd I managed to borrow. The problem is that I can't produce this cd out of thin air. Most people I know have xp pre-installed, like I do, and the "geeks" that didn't, all have Pro, not Home. I even tried going to microsoft online support, and want to tear my hair out. When it prompts me to enter my product id, I type in the number where they told me to find it, from the System page in Control Panel, and it keeps changing what I type and then telling me I have the wrong product id. I have the original hard drive in the computer, and all I did was to download the SP2 update and install it. Why is this problem so unsolvable? Please HELP! :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mentioned that you have a ghost backup. You can use it to return your computer exactly to the state it was in at the time of ghosting. Please note, however, that all additions (files, programs etc) made after you ghosted the disk will be lost.

obsessed

obsessed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hmmm.... that thought had occurred to me as well. Question: Is there any way to do an automatic search of all files added after that date so that I can copy them all at once into an external drive so that I can replace them after I do this?