Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Total Newb seeking help in building a machine

• Please log in to reply

apritske

apritske

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Alright,

I'm absolutely ignorant about computer hardware - I mean completely ignorant, however, I've been saving money and I'd like to try and build a machine.

My budget is about $2500 to 3000 and I am NOT in a hurry - in other words I am ready, willing, and interested in learning about how to buy and build properly.

I want to end up with a solid workhorse of a machine that can also handle the most demanding games on the market. I am also going to need at least a 20" monitor along with said PC.

I would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of a good source of primary information about how to assemble hardware. Also, any and all specific recommendations about hardware would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I have some money to spend, so I'd like to get the best for up to 3000.

Thanks, and pardon me for being so clueless.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres some good reading.

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

A good way to understand different hardware.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/

Tom's Hardware has always been a premium website for builders.

http://www.tomshardw...ng_rig_for_720/

These ought to keep you busy while you wait until the conroe's come out to build your own rig. Look up reviews on the intel conroe processor in a google search and you will know why i say to wait a little while to build a puter.

SRX660

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanks m8

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It's good that you're not rushing into things, and want to learn some stuff along the way. That's what I was like when I wanted to build my first pc.

2.5k - 3k is a VERY generous budget! I am in no position to tell you what to do with money, but you can build something great and still have plenty left over for other stuff. Computers tend to depreciate in value quite a bit, more than cars do.

A couple things off the top of my head that I feel are important:
  • Understand sockets, slots, compatibility, and upgradability
  • Understand different characteristics of hardware, for example Ghz isn't everything, and neither are pixel pipelines... a power supply may look cool and have a high amount of watts, but what else is there that is important to look for?
  • Look up and read benchmarks
  • Overclocking
  • Cooling, stabibility, noise levels, and speed are all important to consider.
  • Check out a lot of reviews online (you can start at newegg.com) Best to have every component an educated decision
  • Read forums. Other user's experience is key. Check out what kind of rigs others have, their cooling, gpu, ram, so on, and how it's all working out.
EDIT: I meant to include a link to this pc building guide: http://sysbuild.cors...eport.aspx?id=2

Edited by MNOB07, 28 June 2006 - 07:27 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Wait for the Intel conroe desktop processors to come available and buy one of those... Also dont go all out on a video card right now because directx10 and dx10 video cards will be coming out by the end of the year or alittle later.

Directx10 wont be compatable with any of the current dx9 video cards so that is the reason to not go all out because you seem like a "Hardcore gamer" type.. I say this to all of those types because if you spend $600 on a current dx9 video card you will only be hurting yourself when the dx10 games start to come out.. Dx10 is much faster than the current dx9. When the new 3d engine games that will utilize the dx10 drivers come out you will not want a dx9 video card to play those games on.. It will play them yes but not on high settings comfortably for us Hardcore Gamer types.. If you want to play the dx10 games on high settings smootly then listen to what I said.. :whistling:

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanks for that as well

apritske

apritske

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
ttt