Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Login/Logout Loop

• Please log in to reply

DRK2CMP

DRK2CMP

• Pip
  • 5 posts
One of my coworkers has recruited me to fix their computer which is experiencing the XP Login/Logout Loop. The computer will boot to the Profile Login screen, when you select any of the profiles you will be logged in long enough to see the wallpaper before the system saves your profile settings and logs you off.

I have reviewed the case notes at http://www.geekstogo...Off-t15771.html I've booted to the Recovery Panel copied userinit.exe to wsaupdater.exe, and rebooted into safe-mode however, when I click into the Admin account, I get looped back out.

This one has me stumped... :whistling:

PS - Time is of the essence, as my coworker and her daughter are both currently enrolled in online classes.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DRK2CMP! Welcome to G2G!

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

DRK2CMP

DRK2CMP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I went to the Malware Forum like you suggested, however, since I can't access the OS at all, I'm unaware of how the suggestions will benefit me at all.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Alright, lets try a few things before I have you post a topic in the malware forum stating your problem....

---------------------------------------
Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself. When it reboots, try to boot into Windows normally.

If the above doesn't work, then what I suggest you do is a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this.

Please note that not all OEM Windows XP cd's support this repair option. Please post back if you are unable to do the repair and we will pursue other options.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 June 2006 - 09:06 PM.

DRK2CMP

DRK2CMP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Fenor, thank you for your prompt response.

Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself. When it reboots, try to boot into Windows normally.

I have an OEM CD - fortunately it has the Recovery Console. Have run the chkdsk /p /r command line. Returned CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.

Reboot and the system still exhibits the same problems. Will attempt a reinstall later.

DRK2CMP

DRK2CMP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If the above doesn't work, then what I suggest you do is a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this.

The chkdsk was unsuccessful, so I've attempted the Inplace Upgrade (IE reinstallation). The installation process works fine, but after it switches back to the XP themed configuration screens, with 34 minutes to go ... Blue Screen of DEATH.

"A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER...."

I've attempted to restart the installation process, even rebooted to safe mode t osee how that played out, but to no avail....

DRK2CMP

DRK2CMP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've discovered why the reinstallation has failed. I've attempted to Reinstall (In-place Upgrade) several times, all with the same results. Now I can't boot the system to anything but an installation screen, which fails as previously mentioned (Hey - another LOOP! :whistling:)

Today I canceled the installation when it wanted the installation CD - but I was able to see the System Setup Log (C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log). Multiple entries read as follows:

Error:
Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

An extended error has occurred.

Since the problem I initially encountered was of a security nature, I think they may be connectted.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this - I'm going loopy (like the OS). :blink:

vive

vive

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I've discovered why the reinstallation has failed. I've attempted to Reinstall (In-place Upgrade) several times, all with the same results. Now I can't boot the system to anything but an installation screen, which fails as previously mentioned (Hey - another LOOP! :))

Today I canceled the installation when it wanted the installation CD - but I was able to see the System Setup Log (C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log). Multiple entries read as follows:

Error:
Setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

An extended error has occurred.

Since the problem I initially encountered was of a security nature, I think they may be connectted.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this - I'm going loopy (like the OS). :)

Vive

If you have windows XP disc

Try these steps

1.Boot the computer through the XP disc

2.Press R on the welcome to windows setup screen and this will take you in recovery console

3. It will ask you "Which type of installation would you like to log on to" ? ..Just Press number 1 and press enter if have single OS, If two type the number according to the installation

4 It might ask you to type the "administrator password" if you have one type the appropriate password if you dont know type enter

5 It will take to you to C:\windows

From c:\windows type cd system32\config

From c:\windows\system32\config type the following command
ren system system.old
ren software software.old
ren SAM SAM.old
ren security security.old
ren default default.old

All the folders will be renamed

fromthe c:\windows type cd system32\config type cd system~1\_resto~1

Check to see it is getting into the prompt or you might get error message access denied

If you get access is denied or its not getting into the prompt restart the computer and boot from the XP disc and get into recovery console

From c:\windows type cd \

It will take you c:\ from the prompt type cd system~1\_resto~1

IT will take you c:\system~1\_resto~1 type Dir

It will show like RP1 RP2 RP3 RP4

Don't choose the last date....you can choose the desired date

EX. choosing the RP1 as my prefer

From the prompt c:\system~1\_resto~1 type cd RP1

It will take you c:\system~1\_resto\RP1 type snapshot and pressing enter

it will take c:\system~1\_resto\RP1\snapshot

copy _registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default
result: 1 file copied
copy _registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy _registry_machine_SAM c:\windows\system32\SAM
Result: 1 file copied

Type exit and restart the computer and dont have to boot from the XP disc

CHeck it working
Gud luck

ALI MO

ALI MO

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi i read all your comments but, must tell you that in my case i actually deleted this file called userinit.exe when trying to remove a virus.
my cd rom drive had a problem in picking up cd so was unable to do the bartpe option….after a few huches i foud a way to fix the problem without the need for a cd…

ok what i did is that i restarted the computer and started windows normally. as it came to the welcome screen i punched in my password for the admin account as it was login in i pressed ctrl+shift+esc this opend my task manager i then clicked on file new task and typed regedit….i was loged off again…i again restarted my computer and again came to the welcome screen i typed my password for the admin account and it logged me in i again opend my task manager new task and the word regedit was already typed for me…i opend registry and went to HKLM/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT……Iwas logged off again….i had to reapeat the same procedure and this time when i opened regedit from my task manager i had the HKLM/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT opend i clicked on Windows NT/Current Version/ i was logged off again….restarted my comp again dis time i managed to reach the Current Version before being logged off i opend the userinit entry and typed C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,…..given that i am not a fast typer i was logged off again so had to restart and went back to the userinit edit entry where as much as i typed was still there i then completed the whole path and pressed ok restarted the pc and bingo it was working again……….
i actually managed to do all this without xp cd which was great the key is you have to restart as this gives you time when you login to your admin account…further you need to be very quick in opening task manager and then regedit then the reqired folder but do not worry if your loged off just restart and start again you will notice that the computer saves your opend folder so you don’t have to start everything from scratch..i hope this makes sense if not you can e-mail me for help

dresimple

dresimple

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The file that is causing the problem is called userini.exe(it has an icon). Using the bartePE cd you can copy the userini.exe(it has a window icon) file from the cd and paste it in your system32 folder.

Note: Make sure to delete the userini.exe file from you system32 folder (delete the one with the icon)

That is what fixed it for me.