Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express Copying Folders

• Please log in to reply

kjmom57

kjmom57

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have an old Desktop Win 2000ME. I recently bought a new laptop (Win XP PRo). I am trying to transfer my old outlook express mail folders to the new laptop. I tried to follow directions someone from this forum gave me but I guess I really screwed up. I got as far as putting all my folder info into a new "store folder" and it emptied out all my info from Outlook Express but now what??? I'm totally lost. Can I copy this new folder onto a CD and then somehow put it on my new computer? If no, is there a way I can put all this info back into my old "store" in Express?
Also, where do I find MSBackup on my old Win2000ME computer? If I backup files with this can I restore files onto my new computer using restore?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am having some trouble figuring out what you did already, but here's how to get to where you want to be

First check your email with the old desktop

Close outlook, and navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\{profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{a long alpha numeric folder}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Copy all the files here to a cd

Now, set up an outlook express account manually on the new laptop with whatever name you want. Close outlook

After doing so, navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\{PROFILE NAME}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{A DIFFERENT ALPHANUMBERIC FOLDER}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

copy all *.dbx files from the cd to this folder, overwriting those folders that exist.

Open Outlook Express....you should have all your folders and emails

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
In a previous post I had asked how to transfer my messages/address book to my new laptop. Someone gave me link to how to do this. In this link it told me to create a new "store folder" elsewhere on my computer. I did this and then exported eveything to that. It seems that all my information is there in that new folder. But there is nothing left in my original Outlook Express. My addresses are gone, everything. I would like to at the very least restore them back to where they were, or better yet,like you were telling me how, to get them over to my new laptop. Hope this helps clear things up a little.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you show me the link?

What folder? Are they dbx files?

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I believe I did some of this at:
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;270670

It did take all my dbx files, etc. out of Outlook Express and they are now all in a folder on my hard drive separate from Express called "StoreFolder".

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, so just create the new profile in outlook on the new machine, and then move the dbx files into the folder it creates....

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks gerryf! I have nothing to lose at this point. Did those instructions at the link I sent you sound ok? I will give it a shot. Once again, you guys came thru...don't know what I'd do without you. Don't need you often, but when I do, you're really great.