Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help it's haunted....

• Please log in to reply

brikey

brikey

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Please help it's haunted. First off, please have patience with me. Because I am a computer dummy.
My computer kicks on and off by itself. I have read some of the topics and done what you have suggested.
The first time it did it was several hours after I shut down the computer. It tried to start up by itself. It would run like it was loading up, then it would just kick off. Then it did this over and over again. During the day when I try to start my computer up sometimes it would go till it is just almost fully loaded then it would kick off like you have just pulled the plug on it. I have noticed that in the late evening into the night it seems to run for a few hours before it kicks off. I have windows xp. Someone please tell me there is a way to fix this.
:whistling:
Thanks in advance brikey

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
This sounds like a job for the Malware Team to handle. Just for my 2 and 1/2 cents, it sounds like somehow your BIOS was set to turn of the computer at certain times. The Malware Team will help you with that however.

brikey

brikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the advise stormknight6. Today when it finally let me turn it on, it automatically ran CHKDSK. Then it signed off by itself. I was able to turn it back on and it told me that it was unable to complete CHKDSK. So I ran that myself and it seems to be ok right now. Do you think I should still do the malware?
If so, please don't think I'm stupid, but what is malware?

Thanks, brikey

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If you are no longer having this issue, and you have protection from internet-borne nasties, then you don't have a need to post in the malware section. Now, to answer the second question, see this link.

brikey

brikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you so much for helping me stormknight6. I really appreciated it.
brikey :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright no problem. Come back and see us if you have any more questions :whistling: