Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM issues

• Please log in to reply

manofsteele504

manofsteele504

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK heres the deal

I bought 2 512mb sticks of RAM to add to my existing 2 512mb sticks of RAM,,, my computer ran fine after i installed them and it still does,,, the problem is that whenever i play a game like BF2 or CSS these large irregular shaped horizontal lines blink across my screen rapidly at random,,, another issue is that whenever i go to play a video on Winamp the video plays but doesnt show up,,,, i can only hear the sound. I thought i could undo the problem by removing the RAM i just put in my computer but that didnt work so it seems i might have a problem with something else. If neone has ne suggestions or solutions plz tell me as soon as possible.

THANKS, :whistling:
ERIC

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there manofsteele504, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

whenever i play a game like BF2 or CSS these large irregular shaped horizontal lines blink across my screen rapidly at random

This sounds more like a graphics card problem, what graphics card do you have? I suggest downloading and updating your video card drivers.

whenever i go to play a video on Winamp the video plays but doesnt show up,,,, i can only hear the sound

Yip, this defintly sounds like a codecs problem, so pelase download:

http://www.free-code...ck_download.htm

Once you have downloaded the Codecs, install them and restart your system, this should now play all your video files.

I thought i could undo the problem by removing the RAM i just put in my computer

It is great that you tried to find the problem yourself, that was a good move.

In this case it may have not been the RAM, but it was good trying to find out the problem yourself, keep it up. For now I would suggest updating your drivers and let me know what graphics card you have and if my suggestions worked.

Cool :whistling:

manofsteele504

manofsteele504

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OMG thanks so much,

(I have two nvidia 6600 LE's)

Ur suggestions worked!!! :whistling:

I installed the codecs but that failed and then i updated the drivers, restarted my computer, but nothing was coming up on my monitor, i decided to unplug the monitor cable and then plug it back in, but that didnt work, then i plugged the monitor cord into the other video card slot and !VIOLA! it worked. It may have been that i messed up a driver when i put the RAM in or the fact that i probably made an EXTREMELY dumb mistake by pluggin the cord in the wrong card, but either way ur suggestions worked. Ill be sure to recommend others to post on ur forums because u guys are so helpful (i been reading some other forums) THANKS ALOT and sry if i wasted ur time LOL

THANKS,
ERIC

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again manofsteele504, thanks for letting me know you got your problem fixed. If you need any more help in future you know where to come. :whistling:

sry if i wasted ur time

You never wasted my time at all, it was a pleasure. And thanks for the comments, it really makes our job worth while. :help:

Cool :blink: