Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A CD-ROM Problem..

• Please log in to reply

jmckin06

jmckin06

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
For some strange reason my computer does not read any CD's. I've tried 3 of my CD-ROM drives, and none seem to work. It shows that the drive is there but it does not read any discs.

Also, it shows another CD-ROM drive is there but I only have one connected. Could that be part of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi jmckin06!

Are you sure you only have one CD-ROM attached to an IDE cable and powered? If so, are you by chance using any cd-rom emulation software like daemon tools or alcohol 120%? If so, uninstall the program using ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel.

Then go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, click the '+' symbol next to CD\DVD-ROM Drives and for each item listed there, right click the item and select UNINSTALL. Once they are all uninstalled, reboot the computer and Windows should re-detect and install the drivers for the CD-ROM drive(s).

Test the CD-ROM drive and see if it can now read CD's.

Fenor

jmckin06

jmckin06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ah. Okay, I uninstalled Daemon Tools and that got rid of the second drive there.

I tried running that file, but it could not find it. Are you sure that's the right file name?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Oh you have Windows ME. I need to check that before replying. Anyways, right-click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears, you should see a tab labeled DEVICE MANAGER. Once there, follow my instructions in my previous post.

Fenor

jmckin06

jmckin06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well I tried that, and it did not work. I don't know why this suddenly started acting up, I could've swore it was working just fine a couple days ago.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It might be possible that you need drivers for it that Windows ME doesn't have to install. In Device Manager, what does it say for the CD-ROM drive that is listed?

Fenor

jmckin06

jmckin06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It has one shown, and it says "ATAPI CD-RW 16/12/40X".

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
One thing I want to ask: does the cd-rom drive show up in MY COMPUTER, but just doesn't read anything you put into it?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 June 2006 - 10:03 PM.

jmckin06

jmckin06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes, it shows up in My Computer but doesn't read anything.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, what I want you to do is go to START-->RUN and type regedit and click OK. In the new window that appears, make sure MY COMPUTER is highlighed and then go to FILE-->EXPORT. Save the registry file to C:\ and call it something like backup.reg. Once you have done that, verfiy the file is located there and post back that the file is there and the registry is backed up and we will continue.

Fenor

Advertisements

jmckin06

jmckin06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, I have it there now.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Alright, again go to START-->RUN and type regedit and click OK. Navigate to the following entry by left clicking the '+' symbols next to each heading before the \'s. Let me know if you have this entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 June 2006 - 10:13 PM.

jmckin06

jmckin06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Nope, I don't have that entry.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, go back into the Registry Editor and make sure MY COMPUTER is highlighed and then click on EDIT-->FIND. In the window that appears, type in Upperfilters and click FIND. Let me know all the locations where it is found (if any). Keep clicking FIND until it says the entry cannot be found.

Fenor

jmckin06

jmckin06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok these are the names it found:

Capabilities
Class
ClassGUID
CompatibleIDs
ConfigFlags