Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please elaborate.. help!

• Please log in to reply

andrialyn

andrialyn

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Helllooo again! :)
You guys are awesome, and I need your help again! IF you can help me.
My friend is having problems with her comp. When you turn it on it goes to the e-machines logo, the windows start up, then offers the start normally, start in safe mode, start in safe mode with prompts, or somthing like that. No matter which option you choose it goes back through this loop, over and over. /in the screen that gives you options I pressed F8 and recieved more options. No matter what I choose there, it either goes through the loop again or goes to a blue screen that says... UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

So, I'm reading through your tuts and find this...

Stop 0x000000ED or UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error might also occur during an upgrade to Windows XP Professional on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

Possible Resolutions:

• If using higher throughput ATA disks and controllers, those capable of data transfer rates above 33.3 megabytes per second, replace the standard 40-pin cable with an 80-pin cable. Using an 80-pin cable is optional for transfer rates up to and including 33.3 megabytes per second, but is mandatory for higher transfer rates. The additional grounded pins are required to avoid data loss.

• Some firmware enables you to force higher transfer rates even when you are using the incorrect cable type. Your firmware might issue a warning but allow the startup process to proceed. Restore the default firmware setting for ATA cable detection.

• Problems that cause 0xED errors might also cause Stop 0x7B errors. For more information about 0x7B Stop messages, see "Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" earlier in this appendix.

Um... what???? :whistling: LOL! Is there anyway to help me figure this out on my own, or do I need to call someone in?? :blink:

even if I need to call someone in, I still think you are fabulous!!!!!!! Thanks so much! :help:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off your XP CD. Press R to go to the recovery console.

Log onto Windows if prompted (you may not be).

Type "CHKDSK /P /R" (no quotes) and press enter. This will take anything up to an hour to complete. when done, take the disk out and press your reset button. The system should now boot.

andrialyn

andrialyn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok... thanks. let me give that a try, or have my friend try it.... I'll let you know!