Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP User Accounts Setup

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have consulted & researched several publications and internet websites for solutions to the following questions, to no avail so far. Likely that I have not posed the question(s) properly. In any case, my questions/issues re: setting up XP user accounts (i.e., Administrator, Limited & Guest) follow.

1. Can the Administrator set up Limited and/or User accounts using the Administrators desk top as a template? My wish, as the Administrator, is to use my desktop settings (e.g., display settings, icons, start up programs, etc.) as a template and edit for each individual user (my kids) on a case by case basis. I would prefer not to have to start from scratch for each user (6 user's in my family).

2. Daily I log on to my PC using my personal name, rather than "Administrator", though both have Administrator rights. I have found that if I log on as Administrator, instead of using my name, the desktop is very different from what I set up under my name (I use Windows Classic for my name, Administrator comes up as the newer XP display). Confusing since either/both have Administrator rights. Accessing User Accounts in Control Panel I am unable to find certain features (e.g., my screensaver "Webshots" when clicking "Display" does not appear in the list of options) when attempting to modify my Administrator or other User accounts.

I appreciate that the G2G folks have higher priorities to deal with (e.g., the multitude of Malware issues, which y'all have helped me thru as well) and these take priority. Any comments/suggestions/wisdom will be appreciated.

G2G folks.... you are the shining stars :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) If you want a desktop shortcut to appear on the desktop regardless of who's logged in, Have a look at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users on your hard drive. In here are folders for "common" favourites, start menu items and desktop icons. Put something in the Desktop folder, it will appear whoever is logged in.

Therefore one can put common startup programs here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup to run whoever is logged on.

The display resolution is a universal setting and not affected by user accounts. Everything else though is unique to each profile.

2) The Administrator account is supposed to be a unique catch-all one that you don't normally use unless your current one is damaged, because due to the way that Windows has been designed, if all the user accounts are corrupt and unusable, you have no way of logging in.

Some screensavers have a habit of dumping themselves in the user's individual profile settings which could explain why you don't see it under any other account.

Each account can have its own theme, and by default Windows comes with the green and blue taskbar scheme, which is what you see if you log into it having used classic as your normal scheme.