i was originally trying to use 2 NIC's in one of my home pc's to run my internet connection through this computer to 3 other computers
i have now run an extra cable in the roof of our house for the router to plug into. so i'll just refresh you and myself of the situation now.
i have 4 computers at home.
i have one switch in the roof.
i have one router used for internet connection.
each of the 4 computers are located in a different room, and so there is one plug on the wall in each of the rooms for the LAN cable to plug into. There is also 1 extra socket on the wall in 1 room for the router to plug into.
each socket goes to a port on the switch, which is located in the roof.
i use the router as a dhcp server, so it jus assigns IP addresses to each computer that connects to it.
now, here's the deal. 3 of the computers work fine and will be given an IP address and can connect to the internet. its the number 1 computer that doesn't want anything to do with it... this computer doesn't connect to the router at all and reverts to an automatic private IP address. the connection says it's connected, but i can't ping anyone on the network.
here's a few things i've tried:
1. i've made sure that the cable going from the computer to the socket, the socket on the wall, the cable going from the socket to the switch, and the port on the switch are all working. they all work fine
2. i've tried using the windows network wizard. its practically useless...
3. i've changed all IP addresses to static, and tried to get connectivity from there
4. i've tried two different working NIC's in the number 1 computer, but both show the same problem
5. i have recently purchased a new hard-drive and installed a fresh copy of windows (should eliminate software interferrence), but stilld didn't work.
6. i've connected the computer directly to the router, which does work.
it seems to me that this 1 computer is having some kind of conflict with the switch that i'm using... i don't know how, but it seems that way... if i bypass the switch, then the internet will work (still can't connect to LAN as i need to use the switch). even with the fresh install of windows sp1, it still doesn't work. so to me, it pointing to the hardware...
you've helped me before with other things, and have always come through (thx 4 that)
please please please try help me out here