Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

?Hardware Conflict?

• Please log in to reply

noobus-maximus

noobus-maximus

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I haven't been on here for quite some time, as i just used a temporary solution to a previous problem.

i was originally trying to use 2 NIC's in one of my home pc's to run my internet connection through this computer to 3 other computers

i have now run an extra cable in the roof of our house for the router to plug into. so i'll just refresh you and myself of the situation now.

i have 4 computers at home.
i have one switch in the roof.
i have one router used for internet connection.

each of the 4 computers are located in a different room, and so there is one plug on the wall in each of the rooms for the LAN cable to plug into. There is also 1 extra socket on the wall in 1 room for the router to plug into.

each socket goes to a port on the switch, which is located in the roof.

i use the router as a dhcp server, so it jus assigns IP addresses to each computer that connects to it.

now, here's the deal. 3 of the computers work fine and will be given an IP address and can connect to the internet. its the number 1 computer that doesn't want anything to do with it... this computer doesn't connect to the router at all and reverts to an automatic private IP address. the connection says it's connected, but i can't ping anyone on the network.

here's a few things i've tried:
1. i've made sure that the cable going from the computer to the socket, the socket on the wall, the cable going from the socket to the switch, and the port on the switch are all working. they all work fine
2. i've tried using the windows network wizard. its practically useless...
3. i've changed all IP addresses to static, and tried to get connectivity from there
4. i've tried two different working NIC's in the number 1 computer, but both show the same problem
5. i have recently purchased a new hard-drive and installed a fresh copy of windows (should eliminate software interferrence), but stilld didn't work.
6. i've connected the computer directly to the router, which does work.

it seems to me that this 1 computer is having some kind of conflict with the switch that i'm using... i don't know how, but it seems that way... if i bypass the switch, then the internet will work (still can't connect to LAN as i need to use the switch). even with the fresh install of windows sp1, it still doesn't work. so to me, it pointing to the hardware...

you've helped me before with other things, and have always come through :whistling: (thx 4 that)

please please please try help me out here

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so...if you plug the machine in question...directly into the router (via ethernet?)...you can get internet connectivity....does it get an ip in the same range as the other machines? how many ports are on the router? what make and model is the switch?

noobus-maximus

noobus-maximus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i've got a bit of an update:

i've done this before, so i don't know why it decided to do this now but, i swapped the cables going to computer 1 and the router, so i pretty much jus swapped which wallplate they were plugged into. i can now access the network on computer 1!!! YAY!! big breakthrough!
however, the network can't access the internet anymore.
when computer 1 was plugged into that wallplate, the network status was connected (not limited or no connectivity). so i'm thinking that all the hardware running from computer to switch is working, and that maybe the cable is plugged into the upload port on the switch...

i will varify which cable in the switch it is, and if i'm correct when i can get another person to help me (should be tonight)

if i plug the router directly into computer 1, i get access to the net, i'm not sure what ip it gives computer 1 but i have now give static ip's to all computers (192.168.1.11,1.12,1.13,1.14). the router is a Dynalink RTA230 (single port router), and the switch is a D-Link DES-1008D (8 port switch)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

and that maybe the cable is plugged into the upload port on the switch...

that's what i was thinking...with the uplink

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
while speaking of the uplink port...on most switches or hubs that have an uplink port...there's usually a button that turns that off...