Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, stuck at safemode selection screen!

• Please log in to reply

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I got a virus on my pc, and my antivirus software would not boot so i restarted my pc.
The screen comes up that says "we apologize for the inconveneicne but windows did not start succesfully screen" where you cant select from safe mode,safe mode with networking, start windows normally. I cant move the highlighter at all on this page it is just stuck on start windows normally and i cant select that when i press enter either. The 30 second countdown goes down to zero and stays at the screen as well.

I went inot the bios and set my cd drive to first boot device. When i put in the xp cd to try to repair it says "press any key to boot from cd" I press keys but it takes me directly back to the same page again where i can select safe mode ect.

I am running windows xp media center on a pc that i built.

Please help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Then

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I cant get to a command prompt. I cant di any of those things you outlines. The only places i can get are to the safe mode screen where i cant move or select anything and the bios. Thats it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks Keith but the weird problem is that when i have the xp cd loaded and it says press any key to boot from cd, I press keys and it has no effect. It takes me right back to the safe mode selection screen again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a usb keyboard or a ps/2 keyboard?

loydchristmas

loydchristmas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
usb

I finally got it to work however.

I just did basically the same thing i had been doing all night.

Im going to post exactly what i did though so if someone else has this problem they can fidn this post and try what i did.