Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT (URGENT HELP NEEDED)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
:whistling: I have a dell computer model 8300/8300n and have error codes 0f00:0244 msg:block 111607159:uncorrectable data error or media is write protected. i am new to this and have been locked out by windows now for over a month and can only use my dell in safe mode i cannot use it to go online or anything else i have been told by dell to update my bios with the latest version and install video driver and reinstall the chipset driver now i have these updates on cd-rom disc but i cannot install these in safe mode got a genuine advantage notification that started this all going wrong my dell came with a preinstalled windows xp home edition i also wish to reinstall my preinstalled version of winsows xp home edition but someone i trusted to help me with these problems installed another version of windows xp home edition newer than my own version and my id was changed so i was locked out and i want to remove this and start again i am using a computer that i have borrowed and it has to go back really soon i have just found out that some this because of the windows genuine advantage notification how can i disable this and can i do this in safe mode any help would be great.Thank you

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 28 June 2006 - 06:12 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the genuine advantage notification tool should in no way lock you out of windows...

in safe mode do start > run > chkdsk /f and press ok...it should ask you if you want to run the scan at next reboot tell it yes and reboot... let that run undisturbed (about 45 min or so) and report any errors

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

the genuine advantage notification tool should in no way lock you out of windows...

in safe mode do start > run > chkdsk /f and press ok...it should ask you if you want to run the scan at next reboot tell it yes and reboot... let that run undisturbed (about 45 min or so) and report any errors

:whistling: HI Dsenette Thanks for your reply i went and tried it and when i click ok the error comes back windows cannot find >run>chkdsk/f make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again to search for a file,click start button, and then click search is there anything i can do now thanks again

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
looks like you've typed something in wrong

click the start button then click run...in the box that comes up type chkdsk /f (notice the space between chkdks and /f)

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

click the start button then click run...in the box that comes up type chkdsk /f (notice the space between chkdks and /f)

:whistling: Hi dsenette thanks that started the test i will let you know the result later thanks again

Cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

:whistling: Hi dsenette i tried you idea and restarted the computer but if test run at next boot i could not see the result as when my computer restarts it go'es to windows welcome screen blue back ground with icons that you click on to log into your desktop but i cannot log on into the desktop as i am locked out as if i click the icon it wants to register windows which i can't do it wont let use the computer to sign on to use the modem or anything else on the desktop i only have safe mode by pressing F2 to F12 thank you

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 29 June 2006 - 03:17 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

windows welcome but i cannot log on into the desk top as i am locked out as if click the icon it wants to register windows which cant do it wont let use the computer to sign on thank you

what exactly do you mean by that?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi dsenette
I tried your idea and got it to scan at the next boot up but i cannot see the result as when my computer starts up and loads windows xp i get the blue welcome screen i cannot get to the desktop as when i click the icon to log into the desktop it wants to register windows first but it does not let me get in to use my modem or anything esle i can only use my computer in safe mode F2 to F12 i have not used the dell for over a month due to this problem thanks for your help.

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 29 June 2006 - 03:40 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I think you mean you need to ACTIVATE windows. You need to do this. You can either activate over the Internet or call by Telephone.

Fenor

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Fenor
I had a message from dsenette advising me to start > run > chkdsk /f and press ok which worked and to wait 45 min's but when i restart my computer it boots into windows after the windows xp screen it goes to the blue windows screen to get into my desktop then when i click the icon i get into the desktop i get the windows register message which i cant pass as i cant get into use my modem or anything else so i cant see the result of the test if it run thats what i ment so any help would be great this is also the second time you've answered to my post but the last time you forgot to reply to my answer thank you.

Cheyenne 09

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Windows does not make you have to register, you have to be referring to ACTIVATING windows, which you can do over the phone. Just follow the on-screen instructions and it will guide you through it.

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
To avoid the confusion being caused by 5 topics being replied to, I'm closing this topic. Please add your suggestions to the topic at the link below.

http://www.geekstogo...s...=119827&hl=