Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Protection

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I share my computer with several people and I am trying to find some sort of program that password protects folders (and individual files as well, if possible). I'm running XP Home, and what I'm picturing is something where an uninvited person clicks a folder and has to enter a password to look inside of the folder. To be very clear, I don't want to hide or encrypt the folders, but actually leave them visible, but have to enter a password to get inside.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you right clicked a folder, clicked properties, sharing, make this folder private

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Well, I saw somewhere that that would ask you for a password to use, but it doesn't, so I don't understand how it works. Also, a lot of the folders I want to protect have that option grayed out.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would set a password when prompted after tickin make this folder private and clicking apply

If you right click the other folders then click properties, what is listed for attributes

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
First, I'm never prompted after checking that box and clicking OK.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
At least one is read-only, but I have no idea why and it doesn't want to go away.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should get this as soon as you click apply

[attachment=9299:attachment]

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Oh.... My user account does have a password, but I'm really wanting something more advanced where I could pick an individual password for the folder. Plus, that's not working on read-only folders (which I can't explain why they're read only).

bshaw

bshaw

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

(and individual files as well, if possible)

Should be the same on XP.... File, Save As, Tools drop down box (over in the top right corner of the box), and you should be able to figure it out from there.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
huh? I know how to do that like for Word documents, but I didn't see the tools menu in Internet Explorer, for an example. And I really want to just be able to password protect the file or folder after it is already on the drive.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK..... I know I didn't want to pay money, but Folder Guard seems to have done the trick. I don't know if people lock or close these threads or not, but as far as I'm concerned (unless anyone finds any other similar programs) this is a closed subject. Thanks.