Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external HDD file system

• Please log in to reply

k0rr

k0rr

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
is it possible to change it from fat32 to ntfs?

if so, how?

thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I havent tried this but you may be able to convert the drive to ntfs by using disk management. If that does not work i would install the drive as slave in the computers HD IDE cable and change the format then reinstall back into the external HD enclosure(if possible)

SRX660

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there k0rr, yes it is possible to change it from FAT32 to NTFS.

But this proccess will include formating your hard drive (external). We will first try the simplest way which is formatting the hard drive through windows.

Goto:
> My Computer
> Right click on your external drive (Eg. D:\)
> Click "Format..."

When the new windows opens select the "File System" as "NTFS" and then select "Quick Format". This will take a bit of time depending on how big the hard drive is. When the format has finished restart the computer and the hard drive will be NTFS.

Please let me know if there is any problems following the instructions and if it works.

Cool :whistling:

k0rr

k0rr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
will any of my files on the external be in danger?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again k0rr, in any of these cases of help your files will be in danger.

In my soltuion, if you do not backup your files they will be wiped off completely.

In SRX660 solution if the proper steps are not preformed your files will be in danger.

Iether way I would really recommend the backing up of all your files. You can do this by iether using a disk or copying the files over to the other hard drive.

If there is any other information you need to know, just let us know.

Cool :whistling:

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
You can convert FAT32 to NTFS without losing anything...

here's a link:

http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm

EDIT: that is done in the command prompt, which is brought up by:

Start > Run... > type "cmd" without the quotes > OK

a black box will appear. this is the command prompt.

type, or copy and paste this line:

CONVERT X: /fs:ntfs

substitue "X" with the drive letter you're looking to convert, you can find the letter easily by opening up My Computer and looking for the letter under the drive.

Edited by MNOB07, 28 June 2006 - 06:39 PM.

k0rr

k0rr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
thanks a lot, saved me a lot of time

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
No problem. Backing up then formatting drives can take forever, and I hate backing up because I know I will and HAVE left important stuff behind, unless I make an image of the whole drive over many CDs/DVDs since I don't have a harddrive dedicated to it... :whistling: Converting is much faster.