Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer case recommendations?

• Please log in to reply

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, I'm looking for a good quality computer case that can fit in this shelf part of my desk. The height and width aren't really the issue, it's the depth. When the desk is flush against the wall, the case I have at the moment sticks out loads. The depth needs to be around 420mm. I'm not fussed about what the case looks like as long as it's not really ugly or beige. The motherboard is standard ATX. I would like it to have a PSU if poss. but it doesn't have to. The price I'm looking at is under or around £50(around $90) although if something perfect comes up I could afford a bit more. Can anyone give me any recommendations? Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would reccomend something like the antec super lanboy, its a very small case by design as small as a full ATX is going to get foes for around £30 no PSU, but for £50 you arent going to get anything thats a decent case and a quality PSU. The lanboy is 430mm at it longest not including how much cables at the back stick out.

Getting exact dimensions are a pain you will have to visit manufacture sites for them usually.

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK, thanks. I've had a look around and am thinking of either going for the lanboy or the Antec NSK4400 http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=00441 ,which might suit me better as it's a similar price and includes a power supply. However, I was just wondering whether all my components will fit in it? I presume they will as I've got pretty normal stuff- standard ATX motherboard and from what I can tell, normal sized components. As long as the motherboard fits and all the other stuff is pretty standard should I be OK, or do I need to check anything?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Those 2 cases are about the only ones that will fit the standard 12" x 10" ATX motherboards and still keep the small outside dimensions you need. Almost all other ATX cases are around 18" long front to back. All the mini ATX cases say they will only fit the microATX style motherboards that are 9.6" x 9.6". Theres nothing wrong with microATX motherboards( i have 3 of them here) but you have said you wanted to switch your motherboard to the new case.

One point i have to make here is to watch out how the cdrom drives fit in the case with the motherboard in place. I have found that many times i have needed to buy new cd and dvd burners that are the shorter versions than standard. Luckily these short versions are also the good manufacturers like NEC dvd-rw's and Lite-on CD-RW's. Even in standard ATX cases i have needed the short drives. If you compare the drives they are about 1/2 inch shorter so you have a 1/4 inch clearance.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah can be a quite fit, more on older or unusually longer a standard lenght drive will fit but one thats a little longer wont if you have all your memory slots filled and of course if the slots run along that end as is usual. Its usually ok for most but it is worth checking if you are using all your ram slots and they might get in the way.