Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HARD DRIVE FORMAT

• Please log in to reply

mrmikc42

mrmikc42

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: Hi
This is my 1st post on the Geeks forum and I was about to down load all of your self help programs when I thought of something. I partioned my drive into C & D drive and realized that C drive is formated in the FAT 32 type and D drive is formated in the NTFS type. So I was wondering if I was wasting my time downloading anything in D drive to use in C drive(which is the one which is infected). Are they going to be able to talk to one another. Or should I just wipe the C drive and do a complete install? Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Mike

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the format differences will have no effect on any of the programs in our list of programs to use...if your windows install is operational then you can download and install those programs to any location (even an external drive) the portions of the software that need to be on the C: drive will be put there by the installers...

mrmikc42

mrmikc42

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: Hi Dsenette
Thank you for your prompt reply. And I am glad to hear that there won't be any compatability problems between the

Hard Drives, and the programs.
However I have run into another problem, I can't find my C drive. It's not there any more. After I downloaded the clean out program and told it to clean up C&D drives. I noticed that C drive was not recognised. After my C drive got so slow I installed Windows on an unused partion ( D drive). I then had to go out of town and I am just getting back to this problem. Anyway I heard of a program Able something that is suspossed to be able to recover lost partions. So I am going to try to track it down and look at it and see if I can use it or something else. I am also thinking about useing the computer as a boat anchor. I am already spending more time on this than I want and have to go out of town again shortly and I have to recover C drive befor I can try to fix whatever is wrong with it. I am really considering just wiping the C partion and doing a clean install. Sorry for the rant, but it is very frustrating. Again thank you for your time and trouble.

mrmick42