Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded system, now experiencing boot up problems.

• Please log in to reply

kennyA

kennyA

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here we go.

Installed a new motherboard, Gigabyte GA-K8NS, new processor, AMD Athlon 64 3400. I was running a 1.7 celeron on a Soyo Dragon Platinum P4X400. I have 3 sticks of pc2700 memory, 128, 256 and a 512. I have 3 hard drives, 2 Westeren Digital, 80 gigs a peice (one I use for OS, Windows XP Pro) and a 120 gig Maxtor. I also have an HP DVD Writer. My graphics card is an Nvidea 6600 AGP, 256mb.

So, after installing the new mb and cpu I started it up and it goes through the boot process, recognizes everything that it should. When it is supposed to go to the black Splash Screen, I get a blue screen that I cant read because it automatically reboots.

All fans are working and I can hear and feel the DVD spin up. I can also hear my 80 gig that has my os spin up as well as the other two drives.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You need to repair your Windows installation. What's happened is that Windows is looking for something on your old board, can't find it, Windows then finds something entirely different, panics and resets. :whistling:

To repair, boot off your XP CD, press Enter on the first screen, F8 on the second and the third screen should be an option to press R to repair the installation.