Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with wireless network

• Please log in to reply

dipdog

dipdog

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a quick question about a problem that I'm having with my wireless network. I have a 2.3GB WinXP server connected to a wireless broadband router (but I do not have broadband, and connect to AOL with a modem), a Win95 P2 client and a WinXP P3 laptop client, all connected wirelessly. Everything was working fine, but recently the laptop motherboard died. So I replaced the laptop with another WinXP P3. But I've lost my network connection and I'm having trouble getting it back. The Win95 client (198.162.0.3) and the WinXP laptop client (198.162.0.2) are communicating with each other. But the WinXP server (198.162.0.1) is not recognizing either of them. The thing that particularly confuses me is that the server recognizes itself when I ping it (recognizes both it's address and it's name), but when I go into the Microsoft Windows Network folder in Windows Explorer (my Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network), it displays the domain name but there are no subfolders (ie no server name) under the domain.
Is there a common reason why the domain would display without the connected server? Appreciate any help you can offer.
Thanx

Advertisements

dipdog

dipdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
By the way, I switched the address numbers there accidentally. They are 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, and 192.168.0.3

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi dipdog,

Just out of curiosity, why do you have a server computer? Have you changed anything on the server computer recently? The only issue I can see is that the Server computer has the IP Address 192.168.0.1, which should actually be the IP Address of your router (assuming of course that your setup is: Computers --> Router --> Modem?). I'd suggest that you setup a Static IP on the server computer and change it to 192.168.0.6, to ensure that it's not conflicting with your router. Are the other computers able to connect to the Server computer?

dipdog

dipdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've got 2 PCs and a laptop, and just wanted to share them so that's why I networked them (did I understand your question correctly about why I have a server?) It may be that I have changed something on the server, but if I did it's too far back now to remember. So I'm assuming I'll just have to troubleshoot to find out what is wrong.
The two clients have wireless cards and the server has a wireless router off the ethernet card. I have a modem connection to Compuserve that is connected to a separate fax/modem card. I use a freeware program called AnalogX Proxy to connect the clients to the internet
Would my router still have an address if the internet connection is through the fax/modem card?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Ah.. I think I misunderstood you when you were talking about your Server.

Is your setup as follows:
PC1 (192.168.0.1) --> Router (Wireless Connection?) --> Modem
PC2 (192.168.0.2) --> Router (Wireless Connection?) --> Modem
PC3 (192.168.0.3) --> Router (Wireless Connection?) --> Modem
Is this how you have it setup? With three computers connected to a single router, and the router connected to a modem? Or am I still not following you?

For all computers involved, please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it. Please label each ipconfig as 'PC1', 'PC2' and 'PC3'.

Now, I'm assuming that PC1 is the computer with browsing issues? If so, on PC1, goto Start --> Run --> type \\192.168.0.2\[Shared_Drive]\[Shared_Folder] -- replace [Shared_Drive] with a drive letter that you have a shared folder on, and [Shared_Folder] with a folder you have shared on the other computer.. eg: you'd type -- \\192.168.0.2\D\My Stuff -- if you had shared the folder 'My Stuff' on the other computer.. Are you able to connect to the other computer?

Please also goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> Now type: net view -- please copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum.

EDIT: I see you already have another topic.. No point in trying to do two things at once when both are related. You're best of continuing with your other topic.

Edited by Dan G, 30 June 2006 - 06:22 PM.

dipdog

dipdog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry, I hope that wasn't rude about the two threads. When I didn't get any bites on the first one, I thought it might help to clarify the problem a little better.

For what it's worth, I tried connecting to a specific folder on the client as you suggested, but it did not recognise the client name. Same results with net view (nothing recognized).

I posted Ipconfig/all for both the client and the server on the other thread.

Again, I appreciate your help. Thanx

- Scott