Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird problem ...at least to me!

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Everytime I turn on my computer I get this error message:

gwrmdx.exe at the top right of the box....
(yada yada .... msjt3032.dll was not found ... is the message )

This is where it gets weird. Earlier I had a problem with the computer rebooting itself every 2 minutes. System Recovery fixed that....but my computer still does 2 weird things it has never done before:

1. It makes a popping sound. Just one "pop" sound every now and then. It has never done that before. I am one of those strange people who listens to my computer.

2. It makes a sound (soft whirl) every minute or so. It is not the fan kicking in (I know that sound). It almost sounds like it is "thinking". (the only way I know how to describe it) But it is very soft...

It did the POP sound before when it was rebooting itself. The System recover did not fix that. It does not seem to affect anything.

Any ideas???

PS: Thanks so much for the recommendation of the ESET software to protect my computer. I have it loaded and it is working well.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and AS A TEXT FILE (FILE > SAVE AS) then ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs that might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Here it is! BTW, you guys can raid my fridge any day. Over the years, you have rescued me from Trojans, Ewido something or other, and guided me to the right protection software! My fridge is yours ...along with the coffeetable. BTW, love the fact that I can use Paypal to really say thanks. It makes it very convenient!

EDIT: hijackthis log removed

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the whole point behind the raid the fridge bit was to discourage you from POSTING the hijackthis log and encourage you to ATTACH it

That was not the entire hijackthis log--it stopped at 09, and they normally have settings into the 20s

as it is, let's check this setting
GWREMIND.EXE
in the 04 section, and click FIX

This is just a reminder application that comes with Greeting Workshop...let's get it out of the way and then reboot

then tell me if the sounds continue (the error will not)

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Sorry....I missed the "post" vs "attach" thingy. I should have warned you that I am totally computer challenged. (just ask RipChain)

Anyway, the message is gone...thank you.

The "pop" is still there and the "soft whirl" . It has made that sound twice since I rebooked. It does not seem to be hurting anything. The Soft Whirl only lasts about 15 seconds (estimate) and then does not make the sound for about a minute (estimate) and then repeats that process the entire time I am on the computer.

Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boot into bios and just leave the machine on the bios screen (f1, f2, del are usually used to enter BIoS)

Do the sounds recur at the bios screen?

Does the sound recur if the SPEAKERS are disconnected?

Even though it is not a fan noise, could it be a bearing noise?

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Ok, currently the "soft whirl" did occur while in BIOS. However, I know it is not the speakers because suddenly the volume is not working??? (That's one way to get rid of that annoying "pop" sound! LOL)

The best way I can describe the "whirl" sound is if you have ever driven over a very old bridge that has the metal between the concrete and you get that consistant hum of the tires with the sound being "broken" every time your tires go across the metal strip.

The good news is that everything is still working on this 15 month old piece of junk! At least for now.
If you think of anything else, I will be around...I hope!! LOL

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the soft whirl sounds like a bad bearing....this is what I would do...take a stethascope (yep, I keep one in my toolbox just for this) and place it against the each fan casing (don't impede the fan--put it on the solid part)

You will be able to isolate what device has the bad bearing

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks Gerryf. Since we have isolated it to be a hardward problem (and not some nasty bug) and (since I don't have a stethascope handy) I am just going to wait for it to die. If it costs to much to get fixed, I will just go buy a new CPU (and NOT an HP this time).

Thanks again for all your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you could also try some set of metal rod, which held to the device and ear might help you isolate the device. Also, with the case open, you could disconnect all fans except the cpu fan and swap in a different videocard to see if that is it.

Most of the time, it is the cpu or gpu fan