Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

caramello0609

caramello0609

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello everyone!

I'm a new user but have heard great things about this site!

So here's my problem...I've been encountering the blue screen of death for the past two days. Happened out of the blue. When I sent an error report to Microsoft, it said this:

Error type: Windows stop error
Solution available?: no
Cause: unknown device driver
etc., etc.

I've received a few different error codes or whatever you call them with some of the blue screens. One of them was:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
STOP: 0X0000001A

Another one was:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0X00000050

At one point, when I tried to startup I got a black screen that contained this message:

load needed DLLs for kernel

I would really appreciate some advice for this problem! I am not very computer literate so keep that in mind when you reply!

Thanks!

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Have you installed any new hardware recently?

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No I haven't! That's the strange thing.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello caramello0609...

Let me gather a little information on the machine.

Is this a branded machine such as Dell or HP? If it is, what is the make and model number?

Had you installed any software just prior to this problem starting? Have you updated any drivers lately?

Do you have the XP installation cd handy?

wannabe1

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Whoo! Thanks for your reply!

Ok...It's a Toshiba Satellite A60, Model # PSA60C-JL100E.

I have not installed software recently. But Windows has updated recently...the updates are downloaded automatically and then I have to restart for them to take effect.

I have a "Product Recovery" DVD-ROM which I believe has Windows XP on it.

Carm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...the first thing I'd like you to try is a System Restore. Restore to about a week ago if you can. System Restore is found under System Tools from the start menu. (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore)

Let me know if this helps...

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've just restored to about three weeks ago before the problems started. So far so good! But I will definitely keep you posted.

Carm

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! :whistling:

You'll want to pay special attention right after Windows updates the machine. If it starts to act up, we'll take a look at what was installed and see if we can figure out which one is causing the problem.

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yea, spoke too soon. Just got the blue screen, with the following details:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, oxBF80197A, 0xF7727A04, 0x00000000)
win32k.sys- Address BF80197A base at BF800000, DateStamp 43446a58

What do you think?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are a lot of things that can cause this...we may be at this for a bit.

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed? What Anti Virus program are you running?

Download, install, and run WinAudit on the machine. Generate a report in HTML format and save it to your desktop. This will put 3 files on the desktop. Right click on the file named rightframe.html, point to "Send To" and choose "Compressed (zip) folder". Attach that folder to an e-mail to me...I'll PM you with the address.

This report will let me see what hardware you have, the software that's installed, updates...you name it, it's in there. It will take me a bit to look it over.

If you have any problems doing this, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Advertisements

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'll try to do that ASAP...not getting cooperation at this point. Another BSOD:

STOP: 0x0000008E (oxC000001D, OxBF9DE766, OxEF73664C, 0x00000000)

ati2dvag.dll- Address BF9DE766 base at BF9D4000, DateStamp 419427bf

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm having a little difficulty, too...I forgot to send you my e-mail addy... :whistling:

These errors you are getting almost sound like a memory timing problem, but there are still a lot of other things that cause the problem...the report will help. I'll PM you the addy now...before I forget again. *wannabe1's feeling a bit old today....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You appear to have two anti-virus applications running at startup...the Avast! is generating many errors. Uninstall the Avast!, update AVG and run a scan while I finish going through the log.

As a side note...running two anti-virus applications at the same time can cause issues like this. There are some other unrelated errors in the report that I have yet to track down.

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I can't remove Avast. I get an error message:

Avast!
A setiface error has occurred: 2
Try to reinstall or contact support, please.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Let's stop it from starting with windows then.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look for anything in the list related to Avast! and uncheck the box next to it. "Apply" the changes and reboot. Upon startup, you will receive a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Watch the way your machine runs after doing this and report back with any errors you receive. I have a hunch that this is a big part of the problem, but am still concerned there may be a memory issue as well. I'm still checking into that.