Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I don't see anything in the list that looks like it's Avast related. I don't know what some of the things in the list are, though. Should I tell you what they are?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please do... :whistling:

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Spoke too soon...hehe.

I found one related to Avast, did what you said, and restarted. Things seem to be ok. No error messages at the moment.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm hoping your machine is still running smoothly... :whistling:

Let's remove the Avast! using their removal software.

Download aswClear.exe and save it to your desktop. Double click the file to run it. If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!) Click "REMOVE". When the process completes (very quick), restart your computer.

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've removed Avast and things still seem to be running smoothly. I also removed BitDefender because the trial period has been expired for awhile. Just wanted to let you know in case this will affect anything.

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just got a BSOD which contained the following details:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x0000000A (oxFF000020, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804F29F2)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Generate a fresh WinAudit report and send it to me...I'd like to look at the new errors.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...more input!

Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc and click "Ok". Click on "System" in the left pane. In the right pane, look for anything in the list with a red and white notifier next to it (I'm betting on Service Control Manager) and list the "Event ID" and the "Source" here for me. I am particularly interested in the most recent ones.

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, so here's what I found out...

1003--System Error
7000--Service Control Manager
1003--System Error
7023--Service Control Manager (there were almost 100 of these just for today)

these are the warnings...
4226--Tcpip
1003--Dhcp

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...

Believe it or not, these are all related problems. Do you have your installation cd handy? If you do, we'll run a System File Check.

Advertisements

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, I have the CD that came with my system...the "Product Recovery DVD-ROM" that has Windows XP on it. Will I be in danger of losing any of my stuff by doing this check? Let me know how to do it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...your data will be ok. The only thing is, I'm not absolutely sure this will work with the cd you have, but it's worth a shot.

Put the cd in the dvd-rom drive and press/hold the Shift key down for several seconds while you close the tray...this will override the autoplay function.

Click Start, then Run, type sfc /scannow and click "Ok".

This check will compare the system files on the machine with those on the cd and should replace any that are corrupt or are the wrong version.

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I get an error message saying that windows can't find the file

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I was afraid of...

Let me look over the new report...be back to you in a bit.

caramello0609

caramello0609

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,

So there haven't been any error messages since the last time we've talked. But just now when I was strating up and putting in my password for xp, it restarted and I had to put the password in again. Also, the black startup screen was fuzzy....there were white dots all over. Something similar happens when I watch DVDs...there are little black dots on part of the screen.