Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My computer stopped working.
It started with the keyboard not working, but I was able to access the windows. When I tried to restart the computer it would not let me, it would take me to a black screen when it says Error 8602 - Auxiliary Device Failure. Failure at keyboard controller press F1 or F2. And of course I cant press anything because my keyboard in not responding.
I tried connecting it to the computer through the USB and I get a black screen again with a different message: windows cannot start because file <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted or missing, please copy the following file.
I tried inserting XP CD in the CD-Rom to fix it but it doesn't do anything, I can't run it.
Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Is it even fixable?
Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
with the usb keyboard, can you enter bios (want to know if the keyboard is working)

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well first I thought my keyboard broke and that was the problem, so I bought a new one, connected it both ways but nothing seems to work. I only get to that black screen, I tried going into safe mode or entering anything, nothing works. The computer is not recognizing the keyboard

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is likely that the a bios setting for legacy usb devices is not enabled

I guess the first thing I would try at this point is a windows 98 boot disk...just to see if the keyboard controller (located on the motherboard ) issue is software or hardware related

www.bootdisk.com

get a bootdisk, create it, and boot your pc with the floppy in the drive

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks for advise, but my computer doesnt have a floopy drive.
Anything I can do without it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
depends on what you have

I would pull the drive, and copy ntoskrnl.exe from a known good drive or windows cd to old drive:\windows\system32\

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wow, didnt think of that, but I'll try it, thanks.
Yesterday we thought it could be the hard drive itself that broke, so we bought a new one, tried to change it, but it didnt work either, it still said auxilary device not working. Could it be that I have to replace my motherboard now?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Wow, didnt think of that, but I'll try it, thanks.
Yesterday we thought it could be the hard drive itself that broke, so we bought a new one, tried to change it, but it didnt work either, it still said auxilary device not working. Could it be that I have to replace my motherboard now?

what said "it still said auxilary device not working"?

Could you be more precise?

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
We installed the new hard drive, tried to turn the computer on and it only got to the black screen saying that auxilary device is not working and the file <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. It tried to load windows CD but it came back to the black screen with the same message. Tried to reboot the computer in the setup mode but the keyboard wasn't responding. And we tried 2 different keyboards.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I was just going to say, I wonder if the "auxillary" device is a mouse or keyboard....

is this a ps2 keyboard or usb?

Advertisements

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I also think it's the keyboard that is not working, but not the keyboard itself ( I bought a brand new one, still didnt work), its the computer thats not recognizing any of them.
First is just a regular dell keyboard, it doesnt have a way of connecting it thru the USB, so I connect it the other way (i dont know how its called). It gives me the following message:
Error 8602 - Auxiliary Device Failure. Failure at keyboard controller press F1 or F2. And of course I cant press anything because my keyboard in not responding.
I tried connecting the 2nd keyboard (brand new) the same way, gives the same message.
I tried connecting it thru the USB, its the same black window comes up, but with a different message:
windows cannot start because file <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted or missing, please copy the following file.
I tried inserting XP CD in the CD-Rom to fix it but it doesnt run.

Fultiniho

Fultiniho

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've recently encountered the same problem, and it ended up with me getting a new hard drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i think the ps2 port has gone bad and that is why you cannot get it to work,

the second error is a result of a missing or corrupt boot file. Sometimes it requires a new drive because the part of the drive is damaged, but more often it is a result of a corrupt file system which can be repaired with chkdsk, or copying the file

What you do now depends on how technically saavy you are

I would pull the bad drive and drop it as a slave in another machine...run chkdsk on it, try it, if it failed, drop it in the second machien again, and copy ntoskrnl.exe from the CD or from a known good machine and try again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You could also fix this within the current machine but only if you have a working keyboard, which is why I didn't explain that process, but if it is essentially this:

Insert a Windows XP CD.

Note: Because I think you have a recovery cd, and not a real windows xp cd it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.

Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.

In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.

Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.

Type exit to reboot the computer.

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I've recently encountered the same problem, and it ended up with me getting a new hard drive.

I tried that but I can't even install a new hard drive, it's still not working, I get the same messages.