Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply

adrianakissi

adrianakissi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

i think the ps2 port has gone bad and that is why you cannot get it to work

you are probably right, but I tried connecting the keyboard thru the USB as well. It doesnt seem to work either.
I am not that good with computers, but I have a friend who can take off a computer and put it back together, he knows more than I do, we'll try all your advises.
Do you need special means to put a hard drive into a slave mode in another computer (excuse my computer language, it's not good)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just have to switch the jumper on the drive....

I wonder if your disc is damaged to the point where it will not boot?
try this

download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows. Open MY COMPUTER, choose HELP > ABOUT. Note the service pack and get the appropriate version of the iso burner power toy

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, reboot, then right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Now, reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert the cd into the non-functioning PC

start it

see if you gives you any chance to "press any key to boot from cd"

ziggy895

ziggy895

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same Error, \ntoskrnl.exe. But I believe that it is in the CMOS or the motherboard. A PS2 mouse will not work but the PS2 keyboard will to a point. It will allow me to boot to setup, But once there, it's like the keyboard freezes. The clock still runs but I can't change anything. If I plug in a keyboard and wait till windows boots then plug in a USB mouse, everything is fine. So I don't think it's the ports on my motherboard. My question is, is there a setting in the CMOS that might be set wrong that could cause this? And would resetting the CMOS jummper fix the problem? Oh and I have tried several mice and several keyboards. No difference.
Thank you

spiritmessenger

spiritmessenger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Insert a Windows XP CD.

go to recover console.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.

Type exit to reboot the computer.
[/quote]

I had this same problem and typed in the above. However my computer did not ask me to overwrite a file with a Y or N. Instead it just expaned the file and said, "one file(s) expanded. I rebooted the computer and guess what...IT WORKED !!!!! This is since it was black screened with the missing ntoskrnl.exe, file missing or corrupt since 12-06-08....
I want to thank you soooooooooo much for your help.........YOU SAVED MY LIFE !!!! YOU ARE MY HERO ~~~~ Thank YOU !! Thank YOU !!! THANK YOU !!!