Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing when clicking on 'My Computer' icon Win98

• Please log in to reply

tenshiranman

tenshiranman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi! I know this is my first post but I've been having a problem with my computer.

First of all, whenever I click on the 'My Computer' icon on my desktop, it either gives the blue screen and freezes ; or it doesn't load at all and my mouse cursor disappears from the screen and freezes the computer.

My computer also freezes whenever I click on Start > Find > Files or Folders.... or whenever I try to reinstall Msn Messenger 7.5 .

I have scanned my computer with the program, AVG free virus scanner, scanned with Ad-aware and Spybot S&D but nothing popped up. However, I suspect that this problem is because of a registry key being modified. A few months ago, I downloaded a program from download.com that has to do with keeping track of bank records and such. When I installed it and opened it, it froze everything and I deleted it right after. However, right after this incident my computer started to mess up with the freezing. I ran a registry program and it said that some of my registry files where modified. I didn't really want to touch my registry keys because I knew that some of them would crash my computer permanently so I left it alone and managed to live without clicking on 'My Computer'... but I really would like to get it fixed... especially when the CD's don't load automatically and I have to click on the d: drive icon the load the files in the disc *which I don't know how to reach to without the evil blue screen popping up :whistling: *

I hope someone can help my with my problem! Thanks!!!!

Advertisements

Zylstra555

Zylstra555

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If you plan on modifying the registry, you can always back it up.

Click "Start" then "Run" (or Windowskey+R)
and type in "Regedit" (without quotations)
Then click "File", "Export" and save the registry as regbck1 on the C: drive, but not on your desktop or in a subfolder.

In the event that you need this version of the registry again, you can start in safemode (which does'nt use registry) and go to the C: drive again, and double click to get it back.

tenshiranman

tenshiranman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hmm........ okay! Thank you very much for the tip!