Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot boot after chkdsk /f /r

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

I hope you will able to give me good advice as before.

Well the problem is a bit weird. I have install and uninstall a few programs, and eventfully my PC started to friezes – as I can see on task manager the dump was every time taking 100% of memory (well please don’t laugh as I am not quite confident yet with comp terminology and if I said something stupid :whistling: ).

That today I done the following:
1. clean the PC with clean up.
2. clean prefetch again disk clean, restore point, defragmenter (through system tools in accssories) and run scf /scannow; till this point everything was fine.
3. than started chkdsk /f /r, press Y and when the process finished, pc rebooted itself and come again in same blue screen asking that “the disk check is scheduled” and to press any key if I want to skip it. On pressing any key it sid that “disk checking has been cancelled” and that “windows has finished checking the disk”. AND IT STAYS THERE. There is nothing I can do to except to reboot, and again… same.
4. These are the situations after rebooting:
a. On the first screen (first black screen with first white letters) – its weird as it starts twice as after 1 sec starts again
b. Than it ask me do I want safe mode, …., or normal. On normal start its same as on 3.
c. on safe mode, start to list the files and goes to file: windows\system32\drivers\Mup.sys and stays here forever. Well I can see the light oh the box and I can hear that something its going on inthere but basically that’s it.

I am on laptop now as I cannot go into the PC. For the info: I definitely don’t have any infections (every day all protection updated and run)

Please, what would you advice me to do?
Is there any way I can “go” into my PC, or should I do xp repair from CD?

I will be online all the time waiting for advice, so I will be able to act immediately.

Thank you in advance.

Den

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode and reset the check

Then when it starts to reboots, don't press anything until it gets to the desktop, which should be in an hour or so

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi, Keith.
You are helping me again. Thank you.

Well, in the meantime, I have started the PC through “last known good…” and I am quite pleased.

But obviously something was wrong with this entire thing. Is there please any way to check the system and to make sure that there are no any problems with it.

Thanks you.

Den

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The only thing you did incorrectly was

and to press any key if I want to skip it. On pressing any key it sid that “disk checking has been cancelled” and that “windows has finished checking the disk

You asked it to check by typing chkdsk /f /r then when it went to run you pressed a key and cancelled it

So it should be a case of just retyping and sitting on your hands :whistling:

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you Keith.

Sometimes I feel stupid. :whistling:

Im still on laptop, and on pc just finished reg defreg (with tune up) – this is actually on the list (what I should do) you gave me a few months ago. It looks everything fine for now.

Thanks once more. Regards.

Den

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there any reason for running check disc?

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Keith
I have actually few days ago install and uninstall some programs and games. And after, there was some few, for me, unexplainable problems (not problems, but more as strange behaviour):
A. first of all, after one of the install/uninstall operations everything from the tray despaired – I was able to sort in out through tuna up, start up options; (only thing that I donno how to sort out is ATI control panel that stays open on screen on start – before was only in the tray – well, I can live with that)
B. secondly, which is more inconvenient: when I have open a few programs (ie AOL broadband as my connection, Outlook, IE, and maybe one or two more) comp freezes (not 100% but just enough that you have to wait centuries to do something… as restart) and on task manager I can see that CPU and PF is 100%full. Also, in processes tab I have four processes as dump(something).exe. (for example, now I am on pc and there is none in processes).

So, as I am not big expert I just go through the instructions that you give me few months ago (and hoping for the best). Before that I had make sure that I am not infected in any case – run everything (avg, spybot, adaware, …, ewido in safe mode, …) and its fine. My xp is uptodate.

Maybe I should check pagefile setup or something else?

Thank you.

Den
PS. such a simple question – and look at the answer!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you uninstall using add / remove or did you look in the registry as well

The AT I thing will probably correct itself if you re-install the software

If you have a radeon card, use the ATI site, just above the downloads is cat uninstaller, download and save that, then download and save the drivers, if radeon, you want version 6.6

Have you also got .net framework installed

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Keith

Yes. I was just looking for the instructions for reinstalling the ATI - a few months ago I have problems with ATI and have printed out your instructions. There will be no problem to sort out this. And yes. I have .net framework 1.1 and hot fix for it: KB886903.

Can you tell me please what usually is the problem when the CPU and PF to go to 100% full of capacity? Just to remind that I didn’t have problems with it before. (I was able actually to have open 7-9 programs - comp was working very good and it was 100% reliable)

Thank you very much.

Den

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you did the re-install, did the firewall go on before you went online

Click start, right click my computer, click properties, advanced, settings for performance, advanced, click change for virtual memory, put the dot in system managed, click set, click apply and reboot

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Keith,

Yes, I did properly reinstall ATI – I was following your previous instructions from here: http://www.geekstogo...s...c=94562&hl=

But, I have reinstall the version that I already have – I mean when I downloaded ATI a few months ago (with cat uninstaller) I have saved the (both) copies on other drive in the case something get wrong. And reason was that I saw on ATI website that new version is not for RADEON 9200 which I have, so I wasn’t sure should I download it or nor.

What would you advise, to leave it as it is or to install 6.6 version?

For the second part – I have changed the virtual memory as you said. Thank you.

Please Keith, I have one more problem – which become the problem from this morning – that was actually reason I didn’t reply sooner. Its not related to above so I am not sure should I post it here – if not I will open new topic.

I have received this morning new router from AOL. Up to now I have used voyager 100 modem (as just now) and basically every time I want have to use laptop I have to unplug the usb cable from pc to laptop. So they sent me speedtouch router.

During the installation, it shows me the error:
“Connection could not be established with remote host” and “modem router has not been detected”.

I have double check everything through troubleshooting and stuck with:
“check your comp NIC (network interface card) is enabled”
As I don’t know what is it actually, I have read some help files and other instructions and only what I can figure out is that Ethernet controller is not installed(?!) - i have attached the screenshot.
I was trying to find the driver for Ethernet controller (+ for mass storage controller which is missing as well) from the CD’s I’ve got with the PC, but windows was unable to find the proper driver.

I have everest so I can probably find exact name of the hardware (if this is what I should do). Please would you tell me what to look (no point to paste here all 10 metars of general report – I think).

Thank you. Best regards.

Den

Attached Thumbnails

• picture1.gif

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you re-install the ATI 6.5, click download this version, save them, use cat uninstaller, reboot then install the downloaded file

In Everest, click + next to computer then summary, look for network

In device manager, you may be able to right click the ethernet controller and then click update driver to get some information

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you for reply.

OK – ATI is version 6.1. and im sorry my radeon is 9250 (not 9200 as posted above). By searching ATI web site I presume I have to download this one:
https://support.ati....amp;folderID=27.
Do I have to download .net framework (as I have it alredy) or just to download “Catalyst Control Center Package”, which is download “2 of 3” (second row).

For your second line regarding the everest, this is what I have:
Network:
Network Adapter GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Modem SoftV92 Data Fax Modem
Im not sure what should “support” speadtouch router from AOL. Is this enough what I have? (im not sure, but I have feeling that you have smile on your face – somehow I think deep inside that this is stupid question!!!)

For your third line – by clicking update driver it doesn’t take me anywhere. But properties are:
On the general tab of Ethernet controller properties:
Device type: other device
Manufacturer: unknown
Device status: The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device click Reinstall Driver
And on the Resources tab:
Resource settings: This device isn’t using any resources because it has a problem.

For mass storage controller properties, general tab:
Device type: SCSI and RAID controllers
Manufacturer: unknown
Device status: The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device click Reinstall Driver
… and on resource tam same as above.

If of any help:
[ PCI / PnP Network ]
ULi/ALi M5263 Fast Ethernet Controller PCI
(this found on everest report – maybe to find for SCSI and RAID controllers as well, if useful?)

I will again double check cd’s Ive got with pc to see can I find some of these drivers.

Thank you for the help.

Den

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need the driver for this so there is a connection from the PC to the router

ULi/ALi M5263 Fast Ethernet Controller PCI

Let me know if you cannot find them

Install 2 of 3 of 6.5

You won't need the Raid drivers

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
OK. I will just now do installation for 6.5. – so hope for the best.

In the meantime I have to reboot the comp as it become so slow – as I mentioned at the beginning of this topic – and the reason was dumprep.exe; four of these dumprep.exe I found in processes, and basicly they take all my CPU and PF.

Also, I have browsed my CD’s and the closes I found is:
On one cd these drivers:
DRIVER DESCRIPTION
(1) M527X - Driver for ALI M5271 & M5273 USB 2.0 chipset
For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 1.52

(2) M5283 - Driver for ALi M5283 SATA Chipset
For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 5.0.2.3

(3) M5632 - Software + Driver for ALI M5632 USB 2.0 Data Link chipset
For Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP (Multi-Languages) - Ver 1.20S

(4) M5634 - Driver for ALI M5634 USB 2.0 Pen Drive chipset
Win98 - Windows 98 Driver - Ver 1.18

And on second one:
--Drivers
-Audio -C-Media Audio Device for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.
-Audio -Realtek 8-CH Audio Driver for windows 98/ME/2000/XP.
-ALI AGP -ALI Driver for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP.
-ALI IDE -ALI Driver for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP.
-ALI LAN -ALI Driver for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP.
-USB 2.0 -USB2.0 Patch for Windows 98SE/ME
-CPU -AMD K8 CPU Driver 98SE/ME/2000/XP.

I am not quite sure is any of these right one. Also I have check google for “ULi/ALi M5263 Fast Ethernet Controller PCI” and it seems that iam not able to find what I am looking for.

I’m gonna do 6.5 now. Be back soon – I hope!

Thank you for help and patience with me.

Regards,

Den