Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Themal Grease application

• Please log in to reply

l3ullets

l3ullets

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Zalman 7700 cu to install and the manual tells me to apply a thin layer of grease thoughly on the cpu (does not spreading lead to the possibility of creating air pockets), I always thought that a small pea sized amount on the middle of the cpu and then allow this to spread via the heatsink (without twisting) was the way to go.

After a quick bit of research this topic is very evenly debated.

So, which application method do you use and why please.

Cheers.

Edited by l3ullets, 28 June 2006 - 11:32 AM.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I spread mine. It draws the heat out of the CPU faster. It depends with that cooler it doesnt really matter which way. Most people spread.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Modern CPUs especially GPUs are a little to large to just let it spread itself you usually need to give it a spread about, you wont intriduce air pockets unless you fold it over on itself its would be hard to do if you were paying attention to what you were doing, you dont use enough to get large airpockets anyway, you are only supposed to use a very tiny amount.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I've always spread it out a little bit, and then the heatsink will do the rest. You may want to cover the whole surface area at first, but there really is only a smaller normal core underneath the IHS which is all that needs to be covered...

Edited by MNOB07, 28 June 2006 - 06:24 PM.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I use the credit card method:

apply grease to cpu
use credit card or similar to spread grease evenly across entire surface
at no more than thickness of a credit card depth

then attach heatsink

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I spread mine always and use a rice grain sized ammount of the thermal compound/paste, maybe alittle hair more than a rice grain but dont use too much.

I spread mine out with the little plastic baggies you get always with the mobos that the screws are in. It fits right on your finger and wont come off its perfect or the all purpose thermal spreader lol.. Or you can use a little cutout of a piece of cardboard. "small piece"

I always keep myself grounded while I spread the paste on also.. :whistling: