Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emailing a PDF File

• Please log in to reply

dwalter

dwalter

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:whistling: I am trying to email a PDF attachment in Outlook 2003. For whatever reason the email just sits in the outbox. All other emails will send just fine, but not those with a PDF attachment. I have tried contacting Microsoft, and they say to contact the ISP. I contact the ISP and they say they can't help. I have tried to repair the system, I have tried everything that has been suggested and nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can open Word, click help, click detect and repair, tick restore shortcuts

You could uninstall Adobe and re-install

Does it make a difference if you click the e-mail button in Adobe, or click insert, insert file in Outlook

dwalter

dwalter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear, I apologize. These are emails that I have recieved from someone and I am trying to forward them on to someone else. Those with the PDF attachments are not sending.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can open them, save them to my documents then open them in my documents and either use the e-mail button in adobe, or click insert, insert file in Outlook, do they send then?

dwalter

dwalter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This did not work.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure this will help:

"Outlook generates and attaches a winmail.dat file at the end of each message that only Outlook can use. It's put at the end of the message so that on the receiving side Outlook can display the message correctly. This file is typically very small, and may or may not include the original attachment. However, Outlook is the only email program that can use this information. Therefore, recipients using email clients other than Outlook might receive the winmail.dat file instead of the original message.

To help prevent email recipients from receiving winmail.dat files the formatting needs to be changed to Plain Text. Below are various ways you can change the formatting on the emails you send, including formatting for individual emails, specific contacts, and for all the email you send.

Changing the formatting for all email sent
This will change the email format for every email you send. First, select Tools->Options from the Outlook menu bar, then select the "Mail Format" tab in the dialog window. In the first drop-down list, under the "Message Format" heading, select Plain Text, and click the "OK" button.

Now, every email you send will be sent in Plain Text.

Changing the format for specific Contacts in Outlook 2003
This will change the email only for specific Contacts. Open Address Book by selecting Tools->Address Book and select the desired recipient's entry in your address book. Double-click on the recipient's email address--another dialog box will appear. Select Plain Text on the Internet Format drop down box and click the "OK" button.

Now, every email you send to this Contact will be sent in Plain Text. "

Ron

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get it to send from here, insert your own e-mail address

http://www.spread-it.com/

If you right click one of the PDF's you saved, then send to, send to compressed zip folder, can you attach and send that?

dwalter

dwalter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you both, but no, neither of these works. Yesterday we tried the zip file and that wouldn't send. I just tried putting everything into plain text, that didn't work either.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you attach anything and send it, images? Word docs

If your mail account is web based, can you log in and send anything from there?

dwalter

dwalter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can attach whatever I want, but if it is a PDF attachment, it will not send. I think I am either going to have to contact Adobe or Microsoft in order to fix this problem. I thank you all for your help, but there is just something seriously wrong. I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Keith pretty much has covered all the good options and there should have been no problem with his suggestions. Here's what Adobe has to say:

2. Email the PDF document for review.

Open the PDF document in Acrobat 7.0 Standard or Professional, and choose File > Send For Review > Send By Email For Review. Enter your email address, if prompted, and click OK. Then, enter the reviewers’ email addresses in the wizard. You can modify the subject and message, if appropriate, and then click Send Invitation. You may need to switch to your email application to finish sending the message. Reviewers can use Acrobat or Adobe Reader 7.0 to open the attached file and add comments, and then click Send Comments to return their comments to you.

Same suggestion Keith gave. Possibly you have a security setting in an app that will not allow zip/pdf files to be sent? I really didn't understand why you couldn't even send it in plain text form. Could the file size be too large? Usually this isn't much of a problem nowadays, but can happen. Certain email option settings on both ends can create problems too. Have you tried another email client?

Ron

dwalter

dwalter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have tried all of the suggestions I have been given and nothing has worked. I have a cousin who is higher up in Microsoft and I sent him an email to see what the problem might be. I think it may be a Microsoft problem or my computer.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.