Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Exchange Server Problem

• Please log in to reply

jholc

jholc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I work for a small company, where we recently updated our exchange server from 2000 to 2003. Since then, the HR department has been complaining because in Outlook they can no longer sort incoming emails by who the email was addressed to.

We have different addresses for different jobs (applicants for receptionist apply to receptionist at company.com, etc) but they all get dumped in the HR inbox. With 2003, in the 'to' field it says HR for all the emails instead of the actual address to which the email was sent. I don't have much experience with exchange, but I couldn't find a way to switch it back to the old system. Any suggestions? I'll greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how are the emails being redirected to the HR mail box? i'm not familiar with all the inner workings of exchange 2000 as the only time i used it was in school...i do however understand a bit more about 2003...and i know for a fact in 2003 y ou cannot connect one instance of Outlook to multiple exchange accounts (don't know why...but i wish you could)... so there must be a redirect on each of the other mail accounts (which would explain why they are comming to HR instead of their respective email accounts...there may be a setting in the redirect that would allow for the original to message to stay where it is...but...i'm gonna thing probably not...you could change your application structure so that when people send an email for a job they put the job title in the subject and send the mail to one user....that way you can filter the mails by subject (i.e. the subject line would start with receptionist, or janitor...then when you filter the mails by subject...they would be seperated as such)

jholc

jholc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, I didn't explain this very clearly. In the example I used above, we would have an email account called receptionist for the receptionist applicants. All the email sent to this account is dumped in the HR inbox, which several people in HR use to sort through the applicants. Previously, they could click on one of these emails and it would say 'To: receptionist at company.com'. Now when they click on an email it says 'To: HR'.

Without that info in the To field, they usually have to read the attached resume to see what job the email is for and who needs to look at it. The specific problem is that the To field is showing the folder the email goes to instead of the address. Is there a way to make the address show up there?

We can tell people to put the job in the subject line, but that doesn't mean they'll do it. When we have a job opening in multiple cities, often we'll get applications in where people don't even say which city they want to work in.

Edited by jholc, 30 June 2006 - 09:45 AM.