Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp install with sata

• Please log in to reply

JerJB

JerJB

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I have been trying for the past few days to get windows xp on my new computer. I have tried the normal way, but seeing how I have SATA drives and no floppy, it didn't work. So I am here asking for help. Is there a way to install xp using another computer and just plugging my hard drive into it. This other computer already has a SATA hard drive installed into it.

Edited by JerJB, 28 June 2006 - 12:04 PM.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
If you have a Windows CD you don't need a floppy drive. Have you changed the boot order to CD first, then putting your CD in the drive?

JerJB

JerJB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The only problem about that is that I get an error every time I try to load it. It is the txtsetup.sif error or something really close to that.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Setup errors usually occur due to dirty or scratched disks or hardware problems.

Give the CD a good clean. If it still doesn't work, try reformatting the disk first and setting up again.

If still no joy, copy the CD, as CD writing software has error correction that can remove these errors.

JerJB

JerJB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am certian that the hardware is 100% operational and that my xp disk is clean. The problem with this is that my XP will not work because of the SATA drives.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Are the drives enabled in BIOS?

There is no reason why XP won't install on a SATA drive per se. The problem lies elsewhere.