Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help installing Vista! :-(

• Please log in to reply

Slyder

Slyder

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi folks!!

I am having problems installing Vista. The DVD boots up OK, and says it is loading files. So far so good. After that I get a screen to select the language and keyboard language (SFSG). After I click on the 'Install Now' button, after a while I get a screen asking for a CD/DVD driver?!?!?!?. It wants to load a driver off a floppy for the DVD it has booted from!! (I have a legit copy - got the key by email from MS)

My system specs are:-

AMD 3700+
1Gb RAM
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 x 33Gb RAPTORS in RAID 0 (I have tried to load Vista with these drives disconnected - no joy!)
1 x 320Gb WD SATA
nVidia 7900GT

I have windows XP installed on the RAID array

I have created a 50Gb NTFS partition on the 320Gb WD SATA drive that I want to install Vista onto.

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you install the sata driver at the beginning?

Slyder

Slyder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, I didn't.

Can you tell me how do you do that and where do you get the drivers please? Is it the same as the RAID drivers when you install XP i.e. press F6?

If it is I don't get that option at the start of the setup.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes it is

there is a screen, where you can Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition and , at the end, ”load driver”

click LOAD driver

You must have a driver for this though--I've had a little luck using windows xp drivers, but this is not advisable...see if the sata controller maker has a vista driver

Slyder

Slyder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am now trying to install this from within windows itself. Before I was booting from the DVD, but I get so far into the installation and now get a 80070241 error code!!!

I have been onto the MS Technet forum and they seem to think that it is because it is a SATA drive that the installation is going onto - a PATA drive works without throwing an error. Hope this helps someone!!!!

Edited by Slyder, 30 June 2006 - 08:22 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

yes it is

there is a screen, where you can Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition and , at the end, "load driver"

click LOAD driver

did you do that?

I does not matter that you are installing from within windows....you still need that driver. The driver on your PC already is a windows xp driver and has nothing to do with the windows vista install, which needs its own driver.

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

yes it is

there is a screen, where you can Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition and , at the end, ”load driver”

click LOAD driver

You must have a driver for this though--I've had a little luck using windows xp drivers, but this is not advisable...see if the sata controller maker has a vista driver

I justp osted something about that in the other thread I started. I dont get the option to create partition at all when I go to install. I just get delete partition option. Whats the deal with that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait a second...how are you trying to install this thing? On what kind of system?

Are you trying to update an existing version of windows xp to vista?

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
are oyu asking me or him?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you, but I see you are posting in his thread, which has me confused....I did not check to see who the poster was....all are welcome to offer help to others, but please be careful about asking questions in someone else's thread...it gets hard to keep things sorted out

Advertisements

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
sorry.

Anyways I was trying to install it along side XP.

Theirs just something weird going on with my Sata drive. Even when I go to disk manager in XP it wont let me make another partition in the drive and Vista didnt offer it during the install. I think that when I went to initially format the drive i set it for the wrong settings. Its no big deal though, Vista is installed its just running off a different drive now.

Slyder

Slyder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't have, and cannot find any SATA drivers for Vista!!!! Can anybody help?

I have an ASUS AN8-SLI Nforce4 Deluxe mobo, I have been on the nVidia and ASUS sites, but neither have any drivers!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this guy said he got it working with xp drivers on 32-but vista

http://www.nforcersh...1a6c25ce528c653

There are no dedicaed vista nforce 4 raid drivers at present

Slyder

Slyder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried the XP drivers and the vista beta drivers from nVidia, doesn't matter what I try, still getting 80070241 error code.

Edited by Slyder, 01 July 2006 - 08:28 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
found these--just came out yesterday so I hadn't known about them

http://www.nzone.com..._x86_beta2.html