Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing an OS

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Right, I want to remove windows 2000 from my pc which has 2000 and XP. I read somewhere that you can edit something in the boot.ini file and then just deleted the WINNT folder. Is this correct?

This is what's in my boot.ini folder

"[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
"

What do I edit to make me be able to delete the WINNT folder?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Supercalifragilistic...

Make sure you have all the files you want moved across and that you can access them.

Boot into XP and delete the folder containing Win2000 (WINNT).

Open the boot.ini file by clicking the "Edit" button in System Properties and delete the text in red below.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save".

Reboot...Win2000 should be gone for all intent and purpose.

wannabe1

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Make sure you have all the files you want moved across and that you can access them.
wannabe1

Does this mean move eberything into the C: Drive.

I think both OS' use the C: Drive so everything is on the C: Drive because it's the only drive I have

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to Win2000 and copy any files you want to keep from the special folders (My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc...) into a new folder on the C: drive, but not within the WINNT folder. Do Not copy the folder...only the contents therein. These "special folders" are pretty operating system specific and may not open in XP with Win2000 removed.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Should be fine. I've never used 2000. just once when i couldn't defrag with XP so I used 2000. Thanks a lot

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that's the case, following my original instructions should get you what you're after. :whistling:

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
I removed that line, deleted the WINNIT folder, rebooted and it's going fine so far.

Btw: Do you know which the easiest linux OS to use is?

By easy i mean similiar to windows easy and easy to install. I want it so I can have Windows XP and Linux on at the same time like I had 2000 and XP. i don't know how to do that thought because another guy did it.

I have PCLinuxOS already on a cd but is there any others. I want one that lokos good too.

Cheers

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I am a really big fan of Fedora by Redhat. Slick, easy and effortless install. Free. Great support. And great update / install engine (YUM.)

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Will the install make a dual boot or whatever if I already have XP insatlled?

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
If you have enough unpartioned space, you may install FC5 and configure it for dual boot. see >>> http://fedora.redhat...disk-druid.html <<

*CAVEAT *
Unless you are familiar with Linux, and setting up Boot partitions (linux and windows,) I would strongly strongly urge against trying it on anything but a test or lab machine for the first go.

If you do want to give it a go on your primary machine, please ensure that you have recent backups, and that you are prepared to re-install everything should you end up with a "worst case scenario."