Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System won't reboot without user help

• Please log in to reply

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm having trouble with the boot up process. On a restart I get the "Intel" screen and then get a blank screen with the message " Non-system disk.... press any key". After pressing a key the boot up continues normally and a message comes up on the Desk Top after Windows XP Pro finishes loading. "Run a DLL as an application has encountered a problem and needs to close". Checking into this shows a "appcompat.txt" problem. The prefix on this temp file continues to change on each new boot up but continues to be a accompat.txt file. I have Windows XP PRO Media Edition.

I have checked the BIOS settings, run bootfix, etc. and nothing seems to correct the problems. I have even restored a complete Hard Drive Image (Acronis True Image 9) that was done a month ago anf still have the problems. Today I opened the case and vacuumed all dust and junk from inside, unpluged/repluged the floppy ,hard drive and both DVD drives. Nothing seems to work. I don't really know if I have a Hardware or Software problem or both. Any help will be greatly appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mountaineer 62...

Boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during bootup and choosing "Safe Mode" from the listed options on the resulting screen. Do you still receive the error starting this way?

wannabe1

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I never get into Safe Mode. On the restart I press F8 and then a screen comes up with " Please select boot device" Plextor DVDR
1st floppy drive
Wd2000BB (my Hard drive)
I select the hard drive and then I get the non-system disk screen, I hit a key and the boot up continues until I finally get the rundll error on the desktop.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get to the boot order screen, keep tapping F8 and see if it will go to the Safe Mode Options screen.

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I just tried it and was able to get into safe mode.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No errors in Safe Mode?

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I don't get the rundll error when I get into safe mode if thats what you mean but I still get the non-system disk, press any key screen before I get to safe mode.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have any USB devices connected?

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, APC Battery Backup, Logitech Laser Mouse and HP PSC2410 Printer

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Disconnect your printer cable and reboot just for kicks.

Advertisements

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Still have the non system disk problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just trying to narrow things down a bit...

Change your boot order so the HDD is first and floppy is last. Then see if you get the system disk error when it boots.

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Changed device order and still have the same problems.

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Just thought I would give you what is in the BOOT.INI file.
Under operating system -- multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows = "Windows XP Media Center Edition"/fastdetect /NoExecute=0

mountaineer 62

mountaineer 62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
If anyone else would like to jump in with their own 2 cents worth I could use all the help I can get. These problems don't stop the system from working properly just very annoying.