Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu usage 100%

• Please log in to reply

selkie

selkie

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

Whenver I start my computer, it takes a very long time to load up ( more so than usual anyways ) and everything just runs really slowly. After ctrl-alt-deleting, I found that my cpu usage is at 100%! I have no idea what happened, a few days ago, I was experiencing malware problems with win??.tmp.exe but I tried various methods to get rid of it and now it's gone but my computer is now very slow. I have no idea what to do, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Relax, it is normal for your computer to read 100% usage when it is starting up. Now, once it's finished booting, if it still does this, be concerned. What's causing the computer to load so slowly? Do you have unnecessary items starting at boot-up? Get rid of a few of these unnecessary things, but if you don't know what a file is or what it does, leave it alone. Keeping this in mind, click on Start -> Run. Type msconfig ... Follow the directions from there and see how it goes. Good luck to you.

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I meant 100% usage after I load Windows, it doesn't drop down at all.
o.o I hope I attached it correctly :whistling:

Attached Files

• Attached File  bin.txt   21.05KB   132 downloads

Edited by selkie, 28 June 2006 - 05:42 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see nothing right off the bat in the HJT log. Try this, and if unsuccessful, I'll analyze it deeper.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

If it doesn't help, do this:

Download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Will do, does it matter if I'm running on Safe Mode?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I doubt it, but if possible, run it from normal mode. I'd rather be safe than sorry. :whistling:

And do another HJT log from normal mode. They are different if you do it in safe mode. No wonder I didn't see many programs running :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 June 2006 - 05:58 PM.

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The problem is, on normal mode, my computer doesn't run. Everything is so slow that nothing responds. That's why I was on safe mode in the first place.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see, do this before going into normal mode then:

Go to Start --> Run type msconfig and press enter.

Go to the Startup tab and disable EVERYTHING (uncheck them). Now go into normal mode.

Before you run Tune up, make note of how your computer runs after everything is disabled. If it runs much better, than it may not be a cleaning issue. It could be a program. Let me know if that is the case, but run Tune-up regardless. It will definately help to a certain degree. And then we can find out what program is causing it, if you say it runs better with everything disabled.

Keep me informed. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 June 2006 - 06:04 PM.

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm installing Tuneup now.

I disabled all my startup programs using msconfig but it's still slow and my cpu usage still reads 100%. I think I read somewhere that someone with the win??.tmp.exe malware noticed a yellow shield with a 0% download in the system tray and I noticed one just now so I'm thinking that perhaps my problem is malware.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Right now, while you are seeing that shield, take a HijackThis log scan and save it.

Attach it to your next reply. Let's see if we can find out what it is.

A yellow shield may just be your Windows's security center.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 June 2006 - 06:42 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm gonna step out for a while. I'll be back in about an hour or so.

Until then, get that HijackThis log. In addition, get me a log from Filemon. It may prove more useful than HijackThis. Here's how to do it:

Download filemon. After downloading, unzip it to your desktop.

Before we get started, I want you to be familiar with the Capture button so you can find it quickly when we do this. Open Filemon. Note the button at the top that looks like a magnifying glass. Pressing that button will stop Filemon from recording (capturing) the activity of your computer. That is the button you will be pressing when I say to.

Now exit out of Filemon. Exit all non-essential programs (the ones in the taskbar next to the clock. Do this by right-clicking on them and selecting exit or close.) Since we've disabled everything, I doubt you'll have any programs by the clock...

Now we will use Filemon:

We are going to do this fairly fast: When your CPU is spiking at 100%, open Filemon. Let the computer sit for about 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, click on the magnifying glass button at the top. Now click on File > Save as... and save the log to your desktop. Attach that log to your reply to me. Note: the size of the log may be huge. You may have to put it in a Compressed (zipped) folder before you can attach it.

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, here's my HJT log.

I've done all the TuneUp options and nothing seems to work, I'll start on the SpeedFan option now.

Attached Files

• Attached File  bin2.txt   20.43KB   157 downloads

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Actually, let's skip speedfan for now. Follow the instructions I just posted for Filemon.

I'll be back in about an hour.

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, here ya go.

Attached Files