Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cpu usage 100%

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Aha! son of a gun...It's Norton acting up!! :blink:

Norton is your problem. Uninstall by going to Start --> Control Panel -->Add/Remove Programs

If you have any trouble removing Norton, use this Norton Removal Tool.

Yes...there is actually a tool to remove Norton. That's how bad it has become. :whistling:

Now, after it has been removed, go back into Start --> Run type msconfig and press enter. Go back to the Startup tab and enable EVERYTHING (check them all)

Now restart your computer and see how it is. Even if it is fine, we still have to get you an anti-virus again.

Let me know how it goes.

Advertisements

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wow, okay XD Thanks. Still in the process of uninstalling Norton.. it's taking a lot of time oO

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Yep, that's normal for Norton. It likes to take its sweet 'ole time uninstalling. Such a pain in the butt :whistling:

There are some people that get along with Norton just fine. For others...Norton is their worst nightmare. It's really strange. Personally, I'd never recommend it to anyone ever again, even if it would work for that person.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 June 2006 - 09:31 PM.

selkie

selkie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay WOW! You're awesome. Everything looks good now :]! Thanks! ^^

Edited by selkie, 28 June 2006 - 10:35 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Excellent :blink:

Now we need to get you a good anti-virus. May I recommend Avast to you? It's free, and has much better (and less annoying) protection than Norton. :woot:

Or if you'd rather pay for something, you can get the best of the best: Kaspersky :)

I heard that NOD32 is better than Kaspersky, but I've never tested it out yet, so I cannot say anything about it. :whistling:

If you need anything else, just let me know :help:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 28 June 2006 - 10:41 PM.