Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage .. is this normal ?

• Please log in to reply

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hello all. I'm running a HP laptop with XP, 448MG of ram, and a 1.60GHz processor. MY hard drive is about 70% full. I also have Norton Systemworks 2006 installed. My question is this: I've used a starup inspector for windows and removed all I could from startup .. yet when I go to restart its still a very LONGGGGGGG process. I mean like 6-10 minutes. Is that normal ?? Also .. when my laptop is idling ... all programs off [except for of course Norton] I still notice CPU usage in the 30-50% range .. is THAT normal ??

Thanks in advance guys ..

Phil aka Buccaneer

Advertisements

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
NO!!! That's not normal. I'm running a 1.4 CPU overclocked at 1.611 and while online and anti-virus and spyblockers, IE,etc , at this very moment my task manager is showing the CPU useage barely idleing at 0% to 3%. I'm nowhere near as helpful as the staff but do your "control-alt- delete" to task manager then look in the CPU useage column and see what programs are showing a high number of CPU usage %. I'm sure we probably have a difference in background programs running. DECIDE IF THE ONE SHOWING HIGH CPU IS NECCESSARY, also try doing the same while off line. I'm sure someone can help soon with msconfig, I'm too new to guide you in that.

Edited by crunch, 29 June 2006 - 09:53 AM.