Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

desktop.ini, is it needed?

• Please log in to reply

dan1987

dan1987

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
can i delete "desktop.ini" there are lots of these in my music files. along with thumbs.db. is it ok if they are deleted?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there dan1987, my knowledge of these two file is.

If you were to delete the "desktop.ini" file, your folder will no longer have any attributes of for example "thumbnail" or an "icon", so if you were to delete "desktop.ini" file inside your "Music" folder, it would no longer look like it looks now. (The backround would change, icon would change, ect...)

If you were to delete the "thumbs.db" file, nothing much will happen this just store information about the folder and if you delete it, it will just come back.

http://www.greece.k1...s/thumbs_db.htm

I hope this helped you a bit more, if you need any more information let me know.

Cool :whistling:

Edit: Links added

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 29 June 2006 - 02:45 AM.

dan1987

dan1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thank you