Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS fan runs, cpu fan runs, nothing else works...

• Please log in to reply

synchord

synchord

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong with TWO motherboards that i'm trying to go off of... they both apparently have the same exact issue going on... i plug in the power (with only a power supply-motherboard-ram setup) and as soon as i plug in the cable ...BAM!... both fans run... both switches have no control over the power, no video, no beeps... nothing... tried resetting the cmos... no help... tried taking the boards out and working with them on my wooden desk... no help... tried reseating everything and switching out cpus, ram... no help...any idea whats going on here?

I definitely appreciate any help in advance,

thanks

Synchord

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Synchord,

I know your description makes perfect sense to you but to someone else reading your post it is difficult to know exactly what you mean. Try to be precise and assume the person reading your post doesn't know or see what you have in front of you :whistling: .

Can you please clarify the following

[quote name='synchord' date='Jun 29 2006, 07:36 PM' post='715637']
TWO motherboards that i'm trying to go off of... they both apparently have the same exact issue going on [/quote}

Can you be a little more specific regarding "go off of" :help: - you are trying to build 1 or 2 systems with (identical?) motherboards?
Please provide specifications of MOBO and PSU.

[quote]both fans run[/quote]

Which fans?

... [quote]both switches have no control over the power[/quote]

Which switches?

[quote] no video[/quote]

So you are hooked up to a monitor?

[quote], no beeps... nothing... tried resetting the cmos... no help... tried taking the boards out and working with them on my wooden desk... no help... tried reseating everything and switching out cpus, ram... no help...any idea whats going on here?[/quote]

The short answer to your question is "No" but by answering the above questions you stand a much better chance of finding out. :blink:

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I agree with DigiKiwi in the fact that we need more detail in order to drill down and provide a more helpful answer. The problem is that there are so many different MoBo configurations that one generic answer may not lead you down the correct path.

On the surface it sounds like you have two bad Mobo's. The odds seems against it, but I have seen it happen.

On the other hand, it is equally possible you have a bad power supply. Very generic answer, but it may be as simple as a defective lead on one if the primary MOBO connectors.

We could spend a great deal of time on the "what if's" just to end up wasting your time. But to give you a something to think about:

Caveat * The assumptions I am making are: you haven't changed the processors on these boards, and you haven't flashed or changed out the BIOS chip.*

Aside from more info, a great first step would be to establish a standard and test with a "known good" PS that is compatible. Take everything off the MOBO in the terms of "plugins:" memory, cards, etc., and fire it up. Most, but not all, MOBO's should give you POST beeps.... to indicate there are issues.