Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual Core AMD or not

• Please log in to reply

Scotty501

Scotty501

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi All,

Bit new to this forum but seem like a good place to chat.

I have a AMD64 3200 - and I am considering upgrading to a dual core processor.

The first questions is - Can my motheboard take dual core - and how do I find out?

The 2nd Quesions is - I am using 3200 now - which speed should I move to - is it limited by my board??

Sorry if this has been asked - but I'm ready to go with money in my hand! :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wait until a little later in July there is going to be some significant price drops from AMD and that should be reflected in retailer prices. If its a 3200+ venice then you should be able to upgrade a dual core on the mobo you might need a bios upgrade but check the manufacturers website for more details on the board and an up to data compatibility list.

What do you do with your computer and what dual core is it that you want to get.

Scotty501

Scotty501

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I dont really know if its is Vencie or not - its about 1 year old - so Im guessing its not too shabby.

I play a lot of Online gaming - and want to be future proof - maybe 4000 dual core or higher? Depends on cost I guess.... What would you recommend?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
At least a 4400+ to make it worth while, the cheapest the 3800+ is basically just two of what you have now if you game you wont notice the difference, it would help in multitasking, future proofing it would be better than what you have but youll want a decent speed.

See what you can afford with the price drops, they are still over £200 so i would wait they should drop below that pretty soon.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
939 was very good about the move to dual core so all you'll need is probably the most recent BIOS update

Check out this list for an idea of price drops July 24th ourtesy of dailytech.com:

Posted Image
(NOTE: AMD is dicontinuing current processors with 1MB L2 cache per core other than the FX series which includes the 4400+ that is why the prices for those are not falling)

The 3800 X2 is a great deal, but as mentioned very similair in performance to the cpu you have now... just dual core. If you want boosted performance in most games and other single threaded apps I'd look into the 4200+ or 4600+.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Sweet, deals on my birthday :whistling:

Anyways, I don't think the upgrade is needed atm. I would wait and see what Conroe has to offer :blink:

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Sweet, deals on my birthday :whistling:

Anyways, I don't think the upgrade is needed atm. I would wait and see what Conroe has to offer :blink:

haha lucky

Check these out:

OEM prices, so you can expect retail to be a little more maybe $20 more?. The Conroe processors are labeled with the prefix "E" E6300, E6400 E6600 E6700.
Posted Image

And here are some benchmarks of a 4MB cache E6400, and actual E6700 against some of the top AMD and Pentium 4 processors:
http://www.digit-lif...e-2-13-ghz.html

For <$300 you could get a retail E6400 that will probably perform up there with the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and X2 5000+

But switching to conroe would mean all new RAM, motherboard, AND processor. Unless you need a whole new PC, I would hang on to the 939 for at least another year or two.