Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mystery drive letter changes after boot up

• Please log in to reply

OpTiMaX

OpTiMaX

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My system has two hard drives one sata western didgital 160 gig partioned in half and a seagate 80 gig partitioned in half also, one pioneer dvd multi burner and a cd rom drive running xp pro this has been going fine till recently my drives are c,d,e,f for the hard drives and the cd dvd is g and h now when i boot up the hard drives change to c,d f,h and the cd rom is e and the dvd is g when i use disk manager to change them back thats fine but when i reboot it goes back to c,d,f,h and e, g for cd and dvd i want it back the way it used to be and cant for the life of me work out why it changes itself am running a firewalll and virus software zone alarm internet security suite Thanks in advance for all help. Paul.

Edited by OpTiMaX, 29 June 2006 - 04:42 AM.

Advertisements

grenet

grenet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

My system has two hard drives one sata western didgital 160 gig partioned in half and a seagate 80 gig partitioned in half also, one pioneer dvd multi burner and a cd rom drive running xp pro this has been going fine till recently my drives are c,d,e,f for the hard drives and the cd dvd is g and h now when i boot up the hard drives change to c,d f,h and the cd rom is e and the dvd is g when i use disk manager to change them back thats fine but when i reboot it goes back to c,d,f,h and e, g for cd and dvd i want it back the way it used to be and cant for the life of me work out why it changes itself am running a firewalll and virus software zone alarm internet security suite Thanks in advance for all help. Paul.

It could rearrange the letters if you have some other removable device plugged in when you bootup. That may not be the case for you, though.