Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

printing and W2003 Server SP1

• Please log in to reply

troender

troender

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi!
I have an interesting printing problem on one server. This is a W2003 Server SP1, standard edition. What happens is this: We try to print out bills (which means a large amount of print jobs). This job is sent from Citrix and goes to the spooler. And the printer starts printing. After a while there's a message coming up on the server: "The print spooler was unable to connect to the printer. This can be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable beeing unplugged, or beeing connected by a VPN, which will block your access to your local network. Your document will print when the printer becomes available." Until I click the OK button (and this message only appears on the server), nothing else will happen on that printer. When I click OK, the printer will continue after a while. Later on it will appear again.
When this happens, there is an event logged in the Event Viewer. The entry is an information entry only: "Document 263, Remote Downlevel Document owned by AquaAdmin was moved to position 1 on HP LaserJet 4250 PCL.". I've checked this out on eventid.net, and they had no comments on this one.
I've tried a ping -t to the printer, actually for a very long time while printing, and there wasn't a single pack lost. It's not the network speed either, which is the fastest i've ever worked with.
This only happens when printing these big jobs, and it happens on two printers: HPLJ 1200 and HPLJ 4250.
One of these has a network card, the other one uses a JetDirect box. I suspect that these problems belongs to W2003 SP1, as this never was a problem before the upgrade (it used to be a W2000 server).
I must also mention that this happens from at least two different programs, so it isn't the program we are printing from that has the problem. The server is also updated with every patch and update.

I gave you quite a challenge, didn't I?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i've got a similar issue on my network with a 2003 print server and oracle...i haven't quite nailed it down yet...but the one thing that has kind of helped so far is making sure that the program user (in my case oracle) has FULL access to the printer (i would assume you'd need to do this for aquaadmin i n your setup)...as i said..i haven't fully rectified this issue as i have no idea EXACTLY why it's doing this...but it only does it from proprietary software like oracle (which would explain why you have the issues with citrix as it's using an actual user for printing but the printing is sent from another structure)...there just seems to be something that get's hung between the oracle database and the print spooler...and i haven't been able to find that "thing"

troender

troender

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The user account has the neccessary permittions - it's an administrator account.