Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet and router down at work

• Please log in to reply

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I work for a small business. We use Verizon DSL in our front office, and have a wireless router so we can get the Internet on our other PCs and laptops. When we returned to work on Monday from the weekend, we discovered that our Internet wasn't working. We originally thought that our router had gotten fried by lightning because there was a big thunderstorm over the weekend and our router was the only thing not plugged into the surge protector. We replaced the router with an updated version of the same Linksys router. That didn't work, so I called up Linksys' help line, and after going into ipconfig and whatnot, the guy determined that we needed a new NIC card. We crought the CPU to a local computer place to get a new NIC card, and they brought our CPU out in a couple minutes and told us that they figured out that the firewall was blocking everything, and that once they turned it off, everything worked fine. So we brought it back and plugged everything in like normal, turned off the firewall, and tried to get on the Internet. But the outcaome was the same: the INternet wasn't coming up.

Throughout all of this, both our Verizon modem and the router have all the necessary lights on that should normally be on, like power, Internet, activity, online, ehternet, and so on. We are assuming that something is wrong with the CPU, but different cources say it's the NIC card, the firewall, etc, and none of these seem to be the problem.

Does anyone have any tips or instructions to try and fix this? Thanks in advance, and your help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with everything hooked up as it normally is...on one of the machines (no one has nternet right? and they ALL connect wirelessly right?)

click start > run > type cmd > then type ipconfig /all and report the results

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I'll give it a try. I'm at home now (I needed the Internet for work so I'm working from home right now), I'm heading into the office in a little bit.

All of the computers use our router. The laptops need a wireless access card to use the router. Our two PCs use the router; one is connected to the Verizon live as well (our land line), and the other uses the wireless router. Occasionally, our non-land-line PC can pick up a signal from another business down the hall, but not very often.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....so two machines are hooked up directly to the router, all the laptops connect wirelessly correct?
and not a single one has internet access?

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Yup, nothing has Internet access. We're starting to think if maybe verizon screwed up. We're testing sending faxes between our other fax machines as we test things out.

Here's some of the information after I did the ipconfig/all:

Windows IP Configuration
Host name: aflac-r6mpinsbz
Primary DNS suffix: [blank]
Node type: No
IP Routing enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: [blank]
Description: SMC EZ card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211TX)
Physical address: 00-04-E2-05-00-43
Dhcp enabled: Yes
Auto-configuration enabled: Yes
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1
Lease obtained: Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:26:03 AM
Lease expires: Friday, June 30, 2006 2:26:03 AM

And here is an account of what is going on with the modem and router:
MODEM
Lights that are on: Ethernet; Ready; Power
Lights that are off: USB

ROUTER
Lights that are on: Power; Wireless G (WLAN); 3 (Ethernet); Internet
Lights that are off: DMZ; 1, 2, and 4 (Ethernet) {this is to be expected I assume, since the router connects to the modem with only one wire}

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm...well it looks like the pc is getting an ip address from the router...that's not a windows ip...so it's not that...verizon may have some things wrong on the connection...

do you have the ability to connect a computer directly to the modem?

also your avatar is way to large...we've got a 16k combined avatar and signature size

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
i just tried setting up a laptop directly to the modem, and nothing worked. here was a report when i looked at the network connection:

CONNECTION
Duration: [clock ticking upward with time online]
Speed: 100.0 Mbps

But still no Internet.

I also tried getting onto the Internet with another laptop using a notebook adapter. The signals seemed strong from our linksys, but nothing happened:

SSID.........SIGNALS (at five points in time)
perfect.......68 60 50 86 82
linksys.......75 88 100 100 95
NETGEAR...73 88 73 55 62

The network adapter wouldn't pick up our linksys, but it did pick up the NETGEAR from an office next door to us after a 3 or 4 minutes. The message for the linksys, while it tried to connect, was "You are connected to the access point, but the Internet can't be found"

And is there a limit on avatar size even if it's offsite? :whistling:

Edited by xzmattzx, 29 June 2006 - 10:16 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...the limit applies no matter what..it's not our storage size..it's the loading time for our dialup users that makes the size limit...

so connected directly to the modem you still get no internet what soever?

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
No Internet at all. The PC out front connected to the land line got nothing, the laptop couldn't get anything, and a network adapter inserted into another laptop said that we were connected but couldn't find the Internet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...there may be something wrong with the modem...if it were the router....then c onnecting to the modem directly SHOULD have allowed you to get online...it's also possible that something has happened to the phone lines

Advertisements

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
What would be a good sequence to do to figure it out? I was thinking of calling Verizon first and seeing if they see any problems from their end of the line. We were hesitant to call off the bat because what we don't need is someone from Verizon coming to our office and charging us an arm and a leg when we are going through a rough period. But it looks like we'll have to make a call and at least find out if they see anything wrong.

After that, I guess we should think about replacing the modem. Is there a way to test the modem to see if that is specifically the problem?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
eh...if you could get your hands on another verizon compatable modem (like borrow not buy)...that might work...but i would imagine verrizon would have to activate that modem...where did you get this modem that's there? did it come with the service?

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
We don't have another modem here in our office. I believe that our modem came with the service, dating back 2 or 3 years ago.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i wonder if it was bought or if it's being rented with the service....also a good question to ask verizon....if you're renting it...then they will replace it

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I'll ask them about the modem status as well when I call them.

Any other questions that you think I could ask to get as much out of them without having to have them come over here and fix it for themselves?

And by the way, thanks for all of the help.