Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatically shuts down and restarts

• Please log in to reply

brikey

brikey

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, Can someone please help me. :whistling: My computer is shutting down by itself. It's like someone pulled the plug, and then it tryies to restart itself. Sometimes I'll shut it down and it will still try to restart be itself. I had tried a few different things to try to fix it. I tried system restore and it ran chkdsk. It worked for a few hours then it started again. Then I did the system recovery. I thought that fixed it. But my husband shut the computer down last night, and in the middle of the night it tried to restart itself. It seems like this only happens at certain times of the day. I have windows xp. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance brikey

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright, first when did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently? Becuase of the strange nature of this issue, I highly suggest posting your HijackThis logfile in our Malware section. A malware expert will analyze your logfile and determine if the issue is malware related. Good luck to you.

brikey

brikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello stormknight6. I'm so glad you found me again. I was wondering if I should do what you told me to the other day. This problem started last saturday. My husband said something did a download, but he is not sure what program. He also said last night after we got the computer running again that another download was done. Now our computer is messed up again. It only lets me on here for maybe 15 minutes at a time.
Thanks for the help, I'll go to malware.
brikey

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
If something was downloaded and you don't know what it is, then that's all the more reason to post in the malware section.

brikey

brikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
stormknight6, I went to malware and I don't know how to do it. I tried to download malware and it wont completely download. Can you help?
thanks brikey

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, first, please don't scare me like that lol You're trying to download HijackThis, not malware! :whistling: Now, download HijackThis here: http://www.geekstogo...d...wnload&id=3 ... After that, go to this page: http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html and scroll down. It then shows you step by step how to use the program.

brikey

brikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I ran hijack this and found alot of programs, I had them posted here, then I found out I should not have done that. So hopefully I have them posted in the right spot.
thanks stormknight6
brikey

Edited by brikey, 30 June 2006 - 10:03 AM.

brikey

brikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, My problem has been fixed. If you can tell me how to take my post off, that would be great. Thank you for all of your help. This site is great. I will and have been telling all of our friends and family.
thanks again brikey :whistling: :blink: