Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Norton and replace with...

• Please log in to reply

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hello all, I currently have Norton SystemWorks 2005, and I hate how many resources Norton takes up, and was wondering what the best anti-virus protector is... I'm tempted to use AVG, but I can't afford to have any issues with viruses on this computer... Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Zylstra555

Zylstra555

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello all, I currently have Norton SystemWorks 2005, and I hate how many resources Norton takes up, and was wondering what the best anti-virus protector is... I'm tempted to use AVG, but I can't afford to have any issues with viruses on this computer... Any suggestions?

You could try McAfee, but I have heard of many complaints about them.
You may also try TrendMicro at www.trendmicro.com or you could also just get a firewall and a virus protection from Symantec, and leave behind the other extras it comes with.

BTW: Never install more than one virus scanner at once.

Edited by Zylstra555, 29 June 2006 - 03:42 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Avast(my favourite) or AVG is your best bet.

Zylstra555

Zylstra555

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Avast(my favourite) or AVG is your best bet.

In fact, I found that Avast removed virus in the system restore better than McAfee or Symantec as it can delete them upon boot.
(As for AVG, I havent used it before. Could be even better)

If you have a problem uninstalling Symantec products, like Norton, you can search for a program called RNAV on the Symantec site that will force it to be removed.

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Stormknight6.... I have posted the same question re: best AV software, numerous times, not only on G2G but elsewhere. Here is a summary of what I have found in my research/queries.

By the by, I have run Norton (Symantec) AV software on my personal and business computers since I joined the internet in the early to mid 1990's (can't recall exact dates). Norton worked fine for me until the last couple years. Please keep in mind in reading the following comments that I am not an accomplished Geek nor a G2G affiliate. The folks at G2G are far beyond my ken.

1. The vast majority of G2G staff seem to prefer either AVG or Avast from what I've read on various topic discussions. Both of these are freeware and recommended by others, beyond G2G. My personal experience; I've run both AVG and Avast on friends & business associates PC's and find that the word "slow" is easily defined by either of these AV software. I would not run either on my personal PC. I recall at least one scan that took better than 4 hours. So, if you are not concerned w/ time, use either.

2. There is at least one knowledgeable G2G staff memeber that stands by Norton (Symantec). To be honest, I continue to use Symantec AV software, though not for much longer. She has some very good information re: Norton. Check it out. Her name is "Johanna', and she knows her stuff and is very helpful/knowledgeable re: Norton (Symantec) issues. Norton AV continues to be well rated on the AV website ratings I have visited.

3. In researching "the best" AV software on many internet websites, and talking to reportedly smart folks, I have compiled the following list. This list does not include "free" AV software, only pay software (I have a problem w/ freeware since updates can be uncertain and performance/downloads can be limited). But, do your own research, and decide for yourself. The following list is in no particular order.

- Nod32; http://www.eset.com/, so far the best rated AV software I've found (personal opinion from my reviews). I have received no commentary from the G2G Staff to the contrary as of of this writing.

- Symantec (Norton) AV; http://symantec.com/, definitely among the most used & trusted AV software. However, NAV is, as reprorted by many, a serious memory hog. This comment from personal experience.

- Computer Associates (eTrust); http://ca.com/. Used them briefly, no positive or negative comment. No comment at all.

- F-Secure; http://www.f-secure.com/, highly rated from what I've read. Have not used this AV software, though highly touted in the business community, so I've read.

- McAffe; http://www.mcafee.com/us/, also highly rated but the reports I've read are not particularly impressive. My experince; McAffe missed at least one trojan download on my buisness laptop. Not a good report.

- Trend-micro PC-cillin; http://www.trendmicr...me/us/home.htm; highly touted by some websites that I've visited, but lower ratings than I've read for Nod32 and/or Norton. I have utilized Trend-micro's online scanning to resolve Malware issues, as recommended by G2G staff. Have not used Trend-mico other than that.

- Kaspersky; http://www.kaspersky.com/; I've read very positive comments here & there re: Kaspersky but have not spent any serious personal effort to check them out. Let me know what you find, if you do check them out.

- Panda; http://www.kaspersky.com/; Panda is, along w/ Trend Micro, a common online Malware scan recommended by G2G helper's on the Malware "Start Here" page. While useful as one of several Malware scan options, my readings suggest that Panda is not as effective a primary AV scanner as some others, though better than most freeeware. Also reported as a memory hog by some.

There are so many others. Some perhaps better, some perhaps worse. Do some research on your own. There are also many posts on G2G's topics on this subject for you to refer to. Let us know what you find. Do some research.

The foregoing comments are my own, ProEd, based on my personal research and opinions. GeeksToGo has neither previewed or sanctioned the foregoing commentary :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really cant say what is the best AV. I no longer use AV programs since i have only 1 out of 6 computers that i get online with. This computer is used for nothing else so i can see what problems crop up and try fixing them. When i was using AV programs i liked AVG. I do still run AVG but turn it off until i want to run it. I'm not on a computer more than 8 hours a day so its easy to start a scan when im thru for the day just to see what comes up. My wifes computer uses E-Trust and she has no complaints with it. Shes got so much garbage on her computer i don't even bother trying to maintaining it. I used nortons for years and there are 2 things i did'nt like about it. One is that i could buy a newer version off Ebay cheaper than renewing the one i had every year. Second thing is that nortons could catch some viruses but could do nothing about them. The whole point of an AV is to catch the viruses before they do any damage. Norton has let me down there a few times. My new approach seems better than any AV i have to pay for. But i can afford it so i do.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Avast version 4s scanner is faster than nortons, although it dpends on the level of scan deep scans take longer.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ProEd, nice summary.

every av has its idiosyncracies. Norton works well, but takes up system resources and they are just now improving malware protection. (they kill the virus part of the malware but they don't remove the rest of the infection).

avg works well, but has a clunky interface. Maybe the pro version is better.

Avast. Works well. Does a good job overall.

nod32: misses some viri, doesn't do great against malware. overall just average.

fsecure antivirus: works well but tends to be a bit heavy in resources but not like symantec

One that I think you will start hear about more often is E-trust. They are coming on strong and I like what I see so far.

Ewido. just released v4. it has a pretty quick scan. does great against malware. I've put it through the ringer and it just keeps on going. Please note that they offer a free 2 week trial version and a lot of sites, including G2G, use it as part of the clean up process. Also they were acquired by avg. right after acquiring them avg recieved some major venture capital investments.

Like proed said, you will need to look around and see what is best for you.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Wow thanks for the replies :whistling: I'm thinking of Kaspersky right now... Any thoughts? I just got an e-mail back from Norton, which says that Norton GoBack and Norton Ghost do NOT require a yearly subscription, which is good, becuase I want to keep those two and dump off the rest of SystemWorks. So now, who knows how to use the uninstaller so I only uninstall what I don't need, and still keep what I do?

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Warriorscot & starjax reminded me of a couple of thoughts/notes for you.

1. Whenever you scan, whether w/ AV or other protection software (e.g., AdAware), be sure to do a deep scan. You'll catch more, especially w/ Adware software. Also, some software perform better when run in safe mode.

2. A few helpful sites you may want to visit that are informative and helpful. There are many, many more. Howw much time do you want to spend?

- Visit http://av-test.org/. This is an independent AV software testing group based in a German University. Lot's of useful info. here re: software test results.

- Here's another independent site w/ AV software testing comparisons; http://www.av-comparatives.org/.

- Check out this About.com article; http://antivirus.abo.../a/freeav_2.htm. Useful info. re: free AV software.

- Visit independent sites for articles and ratings, e.g., PC World, ZDNet, etc.

- Visit ICSA Labs. These folks set standards for software performance and list monthly results for testing. While not a necessity, it adds to my confidence level if the software is ICSA Labs certified.

By the by.... Thank you starjax for mentioning Ewido. I am surprised I did not mention them. Also, your comment re: Nod2; yours is the first "just average" comment I've read. Do you know of any good independent sites rating this software? I'd like to learn more before I commit one way or the other. Seems to me that I read somewhere that some high level businesses use Nod32, including the Microsoft research group.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Thanks! My eyes hurt already :blink: :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Alright guys, well, I'm torn... Bit Defender, or Kaspersky? Opinions? :blink:

EDIT: I seem to be leaning towards Bit Defender due to the research document provided :whistling: Any opinions on that? Why I should or shouldn't?

Edited by Stormknight6, 01 July 2006 - 10:40 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I avoid PC world it always seems bias every article i read there seems suspicously lopsided to one product or its surveys exclude certain products for seemingly no reason.

I would go Kapersky myself its got a great reputation.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,989 posts
So in place of Norton, you would recommend?

Popadija58

Popadija58

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Trend-micro PC-cillin is far best of all listed and is very easy to use. Problem is that is not for free.