Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a motherboard with both PCI- E and AGP graphics

• Please log in to reply

lisper

lisper

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a abit motherboard with an agp graphics slot and I am running a BFG GeForce 6800 GT right now. I recently was given an EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX that has a PCI- E graphics slot.
Any advice on buying a new motherboard?
Are there any motherboards that accomodate both graphics cards?
-If so what are the pros and cons?
-If not should I upgrade my motherboard anyway for the 7800 or should I keep the 6800?

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
There are motherboards out there.

Pros:

AGP and PCI-e for those who can't upgrade graphics immediately or have a nice AGP card.

Cons:

PRICE!
Cards can't do SLI with AGP and PCI-e
Usually are bad all around motherboards.

Oh and the 6800 is fine for now.

Edited by The Colonel, 29 June 2006 - 02:07 PM.

lisper

lisper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok thanks, I just don't want to waste a brand new video card.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yes there are motherboards out thre that accomodate both AGp and PCI-Express but you can only run one at a time

so either AGP or PCI-Express and i think they have to be enable in the bios you can like "switch" when you want.

your probably better just to go with the PCI-Express card its the newer tech and is a better card

troppo

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Asrock makes a motherboard with agp and pci express both but you need to find out what processor and socket type you currently have..

Asrock is an okay brand and the chipset on the mobo listed above is an older chipset and not newer..

lisper

lisper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there anyway that I cun run them both at the same time? Or is that impossible?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
as far as i no its impossable> and why would you want to run them both at the same time?

you can connect them in a SLI set-up or crossfire(if they were ATI)
you could have them connected to ur motherboard at the same time and use the one that you want when u start up by going into the bios and selecting which one you want. but you cant USE them simultaneously.

i would suggest keeping the better card (probably the 7800) and trying to sell the old one or give it to a friend.

troppo

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Is there anyway that I cun run them both at the same time? Or is that impossible?

No you cannot run a pci video card and a agp video card at the same time on a motherboard..

If you are wanting dual video cards you will have to get a motherboard with two pci express 16X slots and then you will have to buy another 7800gtx to match up with the evga one you already have..

Its not really worth it in sli mode and it doesnt help you much unless you run very high resolutions on a high res monitor... On the new directx10 videocards coming out, it will only take one of them to beat dual 7800gtx's.. not the low range dx10 cards but they will have low to high end range cards for dx10 video cards. Id say the top of the line mid range directx10 video card will be able to beat two 7800gtx's in sli mode.. Sli mode isnt going to really help you on the soon to come dx10 games anyway, besides if you bought another 7800gtx you would be wasting your money because directx10 will not work with any of the current video cards at all...

For now in my opinion, get a newer mobo with pci express that supports your current cpu aswell and leave it be after that... I wouldnt buy another 7800gtx..

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I have a ASRock DUAL-SATA2 its not bad. It depends what socket you have as its a socket 939. I would just upgrade to PCI-E as i ended up doing. Direct X 10 is coming out this month ive heard its planned to come out but you wont be able to use Direct X 10 intill Vista comes out. The DX10 cards will be more powerful at Direct X 9 though.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
is this the Asrock you wee talking about:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157092

or maybe Asrock has a whole line AGP and PCI-Express mobos... it does look OK and I've heard at least one good reaction that was positive except that it's no good for overclocking; it is a $60 board.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
lisper still hasnt told us which processor he has..

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Yea... I guess I was just keeping the options/discussion open... :whistling:

Edited by MNOB07, 02 July 2006 - 11:58 AM.

lisper

lisper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not sure what processor I have but I guess I will probably sell both cards eventually then buy one of the new cards and mother boards

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
http://www.softpedia...e-Edition.shtml

download and install this it will tell you every thing you need to no.