Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

cable modem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:whistling: hi...
my cousin gave me this Emachine T1090 (computer #1) and i have my own computer(computer #2)...
i'm connected to SBC DSL and using 2wire home portal 1701HG and i'm using this modem for my computer...
i want to put the computer#1 to my brothers room and computer#2 to my room...so i try my old modem SpeedStream 5100 Ethernet ADSL Modem but it can connect to the internet but the modem is working...i also try the SpeedStream to computer#2 its doesnt work too...so i try connecting the computer #1 and #2 to 2wire and both computer works at the same time....

i want to know is there a way i can use the computer but with the different room?
is the speedstream is already been outdated?

please help me...cause both computer now is at the same room!..
i appreaciate any help..thank you

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-nikaye – [Cable Modem]
30th June 2006

nikaye – Hi & Welcome to – Geeks to Go

I am not sure what configuration you want for these 2 computers & [Modem & Home Portal] – but here are some links for both devices that may help – Plus some Tutorials

Here are some Tutorial Links -

Networking -

Internet Sharing –

Here is a link that shows the system requirements requirements & features of Speedstream 5100 Series -

System Requirements
· Ethernet Installation
· Ethernet NIC
· Operating system that supports TCP/IP over Ethernet
· Windows® 98, 98SE, 2000, Me, or XP
· Pentium® processor 166MHz or faster
· 32 MB RAM
· 12 MB free disk space

Here is a setup & info Link for 5100 series

Siemens Speedstream 5100 Specification -

FAQ on Speedstream 5100 –
http://www.dslreport...peedstream 5100

GATEWAY Home Portal HG -

Gateway home portal models -

Gateway 1700HG Specs-

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. The easiest way to do use a 4 port internet router to connect the computers, and connect the router to the cable modem. This would improve your security as well. I have 4 computers networked through a router, and can connect all 4 to the internet at the same time with such a set up. Here is a good DIY guide: http://www.homenethelp.com/