Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Cleanup

• Please log in to reply

erndawg101

erndawg101

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Just replaced my laptop and I'm going to sell the old one on eBay. I don't want to format the hard drive, because to my knowledge that deletes the OS as well, and I don't have a CD to reinstall from. I bought the old laptop used so I never got a recovery cd either, so that option is out. What is the fastest/easiest way for me to clean the hard drive (delete files) leaving only the OS (XP Pro) and Office XP installed? Thanks.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, not real sure what to tell you but for sure when your all done cleaning it out
make sure you only send it off with one system restore point, do this after you
clean it out. :whistling:

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I haven't tried it myself, but have a look here for various tools to securely erase data. It will point you to a few possibilties for securely erasing data. Be aware that pressing delete and emptying the recycle bin will not remove files from your hard drive, but merely leave the pointers behind. Even a reformat doesn't destroy all the data. A lot of stuff can be recovered using data recovery applications. So if you have sensitive data on that machine you'll need to use an application that overwrites the hard disk sectors on which the files were located.

Some wipe the whole disk (which is easier and safer) and some let you choose what portion to overwrite.

Also be aware that index.dat files retain all your web browsing data, even if you clear your history and cookies in your browser. Take a look here for how to find and delete these files.

Ideally - securely wipe the HD reinstall xp but failing that you'll have to scurry out all your bits of data - they hide in many places beside "My Documents"

Hope this helps

Digikiwi