Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

@ and " on the wrong keys and no Pound sign?

• Please log in to reply

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I have just built a new pc and I installed Windows XP Media Center on it but when I try and use the @ or " the buttons have swapped round so @ is on the 2" key and " is on the @' key. Anyone help me??

Thanks,

Kurt

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You probably have the United Kingdom Keyboard Layout selected. Go to Control Panel and select keyboard and choose one for U.S..

Ron

Windows Keyboard Layouts

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I try and change the language to English (United Kindom) but i get "Setup was unable to install the chosen locale. Please contact a system administrator" is there anyway I can download the launguage pack?

Thanks,

Kurt

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you try going through Control Panel, Regional & Language Options, clicking the Language tab, then Details button and click Add button? Should have gotten a language menu to select from. The US one will have the 2 @ and ' " combinations which means I got it backwards in my earlier post. :whistling: You're in the UK so select the UK one you want and you should get the right combinations.

Ron

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah dont worry its an american website. Yeah ive tryed that all that happens is "windows cannot load this..." and key settings is not highlighted so i cannot change it. is there anyway i can download the keyboar layouts for windows?

Thanks,

Kurt

Edited by rumble291, 03 July 2006 - 10:50 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you saying that you had no listing for the UK in the drop-down menu after clicking the Add button?

You do have to be logged in as admin for a download for other languages, but the UK should have been installed already from the Win XP Pro CD. Regional and Language Options was just to set the keyboard so you can choose between US or UK at any time. These are loaded into memory so it does affect PC loading time.

This from MicroSoft: Enabling International Support. Don't think this will do you much good, but it confirms the fact that most other languages should have been installed. I would think especially for the UK.

Try logging in as admin and going through these steps and see if it asks for your Windows CD. Also, check this page out for an installer and more info:
UK International Keyboard Layout.
Hate to recommend anything I haven't tried so decision is yours on the installer listed.
Ron

rumble291

rumble291

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Ive fixed it now I downloaded the installer and its fine. It was fine but one day it went weird and didnt no how to set it back. Thanks for your help

Kurt

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thank you for posting back that a solution was found to fix your problem. Hope some day we have more control over what happens on our PCs. :whistling:

Ron