Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving XP to new drive

• Please log in to reply

chris73

chris73

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Is there an easy (preferably free) way of migrating an entire HD to a new one? My C: drive on one PC is only 20 gigs and is near empty. I'd like to replace it without reinstalling anything. XP Home SP2

Thanks!

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
i seriously dont think that is possible......becuase when you install xp on the HDD it installs the drivers for that HDD........... say, u take ur HDD out of one computer that has XP installed on it.......... and you put it in another computer it wont work........becuase when you installed XP it intalled the drivers for that motherboard as the defualt........i think its the same deal with moving entire HDD to a new one..

Edited by daniel_c, 29 June 2006 - 05:05 PM.

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok, so is there an easy way to move the contents of the drive without moving XP? Like keeping C: for the OS only and using the D: drive as the program drive?